Will Windows 2000 Advanced server help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by emk662, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Excellent analysis. You do a tech proud. I am fighting back the little tear of happiness. Your tech has become "Maytagged - very few if any service calls." :)

#11     Oct 12, 2002
  2. nitro

nitro

This will solve all your problems:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=96068&highlight=thanks+to+Kymar#post96068

As to Advanced Server, you are wasting your money. For your purposes, on that machine, there is no difference to using Server over Pro, let alone AS. I also have a dual Xeon 2.4 machine with 1GB of RAM. I have over 40 workspaces open and over 500 symbols displayed. I run Server (could easily run Pro,) but I have access to Windows AS and it doesn't make a difference. Step up to Quad CPU's and you start needing AS.

nitro

#12     Oct 12, 2002
  3. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

From the knowledge base article .....
    "Some programs do not handle the failure gracefully, and in some cases there may not be enough memory to create the error message dialog box. As a result, the requested operation fails without any indication.
    "

A well known issue that GUI reliant subsystems designers have had to work around for several years. There are simple solutions to ensure that you software app does not crash in this situation without handling and identifying the problem.

High quality software handles this situation. Hopefully the company will add this test to their next release if it indeed was the culprit .....

#13     Oct 30, 2002
  4. nusrat

nusrat

Couldn't find it after about 30 minutes of googling.
    What else can you remember about it?

#14     Oct 31, 2002
  5. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

The architecture of Windows server and professional products has changed since NT4. In the 2000 versions and beyond Microsoft recognized the hole that allowed a simple registry key change coupled with another change that effected promotion of workstation to server. There is no simple way to do this in 2000 and .Net products. There may be a hack out there for the new versions but if there is then someone developed a complicated piece of software with no realistic hope of getting paid .....

#15     Oct 31, 2002
  6. nusrat

nusrat

Thought the reference was to W2K. Maybe I misunderstood the poster.
    "I think Advanced Server is better then regular server only in clustering functions and # of CPUs it will support. There is also a hack . . . "

#16     Oct 31, 2002
  7. white17

white17

Bone et al :

on a related issue let me ask this question. I am currently running NT4 SP6. Considering either UPGRADE to 2KPro or clean install of same. Any suggestions on either?

#18     Oct 31, 2002
  8. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

#19     Oct 31, 2002
  9. nusrat

nusrat

Better features/usability than NT. Much more stable than 98/ME.

But not perfect. My W2kPro still occasionally must be hard-rebooted, and has occasional GUI glitches, no matter how stale or fresh I am about the Windows Update maintenance.

Minimize your use of tweaks, PowerToys, etc. -- especially if they change the GUI or modify the registry.

#20     Oct 31, 2002