Will we see an exodus of traders into Futures ?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by ElectricSavant, Nov 23, 2003.

1. What is your problem? Having a bad day?

Hey guess we do not need to post at all.....just ask wags a lot.

Michael B.

P.S. oh great wags a a lot...question? What is the meaning of life.

#21     Nov 26, 2003
  2. LOL Electric! Leave our poor waggie daggie alone! :mad::p

P.P.S: Oh great wags a lot ... Question: What do women want?

-S

#22     Nov 26, 2003
  3. They don't know what they want, that's the ENTIRE problem!

It's like shopping for a pair of shoes, or finding something that they perceive as a value during a sale.

The only problem is, is that that "perception" and "behavior" is always changing . . . from one sale to another, from one shopping excursion to another, and due to their lack of playing sports growing up ( this is why it helps to find a TOM-BOY ) they take what seems like FOREVER to make up their freaking minds, rather than just going for it, taking a swing at the ball and giving it their best shot for that moment.

Little Boys grow up knowing that there will always be another "at-bat" . . . another "inning" to play . . . and another set of "downs" . . . thus they learn to be decisive and give it their best shot for that moment. Little Girls do not learn this. That is why they are always second-guessing themselves and being so damn dramatic in their decision-making process.

It's enough to drive you nuts!
    That is why I am such a huge supporter of women's sports.

Just my 2 cents.

:p

#23     Nov 26, 2003
  4. taodr

taodr

Interesting take on females. Wagg

#24     Nov 26, 2003
  5. Nice one, Wagg. I asked my gf this question once (wdww), and she said in the order of:

"You'll never figure it. Because, for starters it's very hard to explain to a man want a woman wants, since men have no idea how to communicate or comprehend on this level. On top of that, every woman wants something completely different. So you'll never be able to figure a general conclusion. But you see - That's what makes us interesting." Nice!

My own 5 cents to this thread:

Well, it's very difficult to scalp (NASDAQ) stocks in real life now, it's almost impossible to do this in a high-performance fashion unless you have a condo in NYC, across Wall St, with a ping to your broker of maybe 30ms, a T1-line and X_Trader on a 3.6GhZ workstation and a prop account with no commissions and ECN rebates maybe. I used to trade stocks actively, but eventually got into futures - and never looked back.

On the futures, things are quite different, these are MY reasons for favoring futures (not only for a scalper):

I love the futures. I know my way around, I know the ratios to the point where they've become subconscious. It's a great market, nobody just pulls 20 levels of bid or ask in a fraction of a second just because a bird chirped outside or some prop or MM farted and fell off his chair (which you then find out 100ms+ later, and by the time you react it's another 100ms+ and so you modify and it's another 2X100+ms... harrumph), the futures market is very dense and there's always a dick somewhere to unload your position on. Perfect for people with lame internet connections even.

That said, I factually consider the futures my calling. Why?

- :)
    - Tax
    - Speed
    - Liquidity
    - Leverage
    - Uptick Rule
    - Commissions
    - Diversification
    - Steadfastness
    - Upside potential
    - Ability to get a seat
    - No insider information

All those things ring in clear favor of futures, stocks are no longer an option for (decent-size) short-term trading. I know it sounds cruel to say this, but futures and commodities were designed for day trading, stocks never were. Stocks are for investors, not traders. If you don't grasp that, the SEC sure does and will do everything to drum it into your head until you understand it. PDT and uptick rule didn't work, let's try banning bullets, conversions, and if that doesn't work, let's try sth else. The only reason why stocks are being actively traded is because it's a niche, and niches will always be filled if there's any money there. :)

Best Regards,
    Scientist.

#25     Nov 26, 2003
  6. taodr

taodr

Scientist.. This might be your brightest statement ever. I am slowly getting to the same conclusion.

#26     Nov 26, 2003
  7. May years ago It didn't take me more than 3 months to understand that there is no real argument in favor of stocks for daytrading if you are purely technical trader. For me it's more difficult to daytrade stocks than future.

#27     Nov 26, 2003
  8. Very nice post!

I couldn't have said it better myself.

:p

#28     Nov 30, 2003