Will war actually be bullish?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by AAAintheBeltway, Feb 5, 2003.

1. taodr

taodr

Russia nor Cuba made any attacks on the US land mass. The terrorists have. Eventually all peace loving people will see how the roads to that terrorism was connected to quite a few countries. If America is too passive or the rest of the "civilized" world for that matter, the next attack might kill millions.

#11     Feb 5, 2003
  2. If America is too active the same will happen, except that faster. America's power has been seriously questioned after the 9/11 (failure of US intelligence) and the last military operation in Afganistan. Starting a war is easy, it's ending it that is always a bigger problem.

How many terrorists do you think will get killed in this war with Iraq? Terrorists do not fight regular wars and they do not die in regular wars hence you will not eradicate them by wars. You are fighting a ghost enemy.

Now, ask yourself this question: why 9/11 did not happen in Europe, but in this country? If you a global power you need to expect that you will not be liked by everyone in the world. Wars will not change it.

#12     Feb 5, 2003
  3. war will be very bearish for all of the anti-war people who are about to be made fools of in a very big way.

#13     Feb 5, 2003
  4. Better watch futures... they do not look very bullish to all pro-war people...

#14     Feb 5, 2003
  5. Most people tend to be pro-war as long as someone else is doing the fighting for them.

#15     Feb 5, 2003
  6. Shaman

Shaman

"The only thing I know for certain is the market will do its best to screw up the most people" possible."

read this quote on thestreet.com and thought of this thread.

#16     Feb 5, 2003
  7. gaj

gaj

nearly all talking heads expect the market to go up big on a war.

cramer expects the market to go up big on a war (and in fact, has been screaming "1991!" for at least 1 year).

therefore, given most talking heads (contrary), and cramer (excellent results when going contrary to his foaming rapid blatherings)...

i believe any gains that happen WITH OR WITHOUT A WAR will be wiped out. of course, to paraphrase the comments in reminscences, "it's a bear market, you know".

the way to knock out as many participants as possible would be to have a sharp runup - knocking out shorts, sucking in longs - and then a drip down, then taking out lows.

#17     Feb 5, 2003
  8. Exactly what are you saying will become cheaper?

#18     Feb 5, 2003
  9. That's probably the most valid argument for leaving His Excellency President Saddam Hussein in power. Which we all know is going to happen again...

#19     Feb 5, 2003
  10. Well, I did not want to say this myself because most pro-war people tend to be sensitive on the issue of who is doing the fighting and who is just watching. :D

#20     Feb 5, 2003