Will US become a retirement paradise?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by kashirin, Apr 19, 2007.

#21     Apr 20, 2007
  2. valuable assts?
    there are sheep, sheep and yet more sheep.

On second thoughts, it would make a good home for ET.

#22     Apr 20, 2007

3. Agreed, but could they get out again!

#23     Apr 20, 2007
  4. bluud

bluud

talking about Ukraine

is anyone in here from Ukraine

I am planning on moving there

I haven't done anything yet ... I want to talk to a lawyer

but still it would help to get some ideas here

Is Ukraine a safe country to live in?

What is the annual life expense in Ukraine like?

How are schools and universities in Ukraine?

How do Ukrainians treat foreigners?

I don't care about the income ... I'm not planning on working.

What is the main industry?

Compare freedom in Ukraine with US, Japan and/or Russia

Any other information regarding Ukraine would be appreciated!

#24     Apr 20, 2007
  5. bluud

bluud

actually US likes two class of people: the wealthy and the poor

the wealthy for they bring money into the country

and the poor for they become the everyday slave

the middle class means nothing to the US but headache

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

again about educated people ... US likes poor educated and rich educated

the rich will either continue education ... which is the main source of income for US universities (specially offsprings of rich arabs) or make an investment in the Tech industry

the poor but educated will become wonderful mind slaves

again the middle class with education means more headache to the US ... people who will come and complain about everything ...

#25     Apr 20, 2007
  6. just21

just21

Do you speak Russian? Very few people speak English outside Kiev apart from the very young. Property prices have raced ahead since the orange revolution. Not quite as corrupt as Russia, the police do not hit you up on the streets, but close.

#26     Apr 20, 2007
  7. zdreg

zdreg

brits have being doing it for some time both for retirement and work.real estate prices have soared. currency changes are most favorable. quality of life is terrible for the middle class. favorite destinations have been australia and canada.

#27     Apr 20, 2007
  8. bluud

bluud

I know a little Russian but not alot though I can learn languages real fast I already know a few languages

Do you have to bribe the police and government people to get through day to day life ... specially if they find out you have some wealth

Are there better cities to live in than Kiev ... I mean specially that I don't intend on getting employed I could go live in a quite city right?

Thanks for the reply

#28     Apr 20, 2007
  9. Having lived in Russia for several years and having made many, many trips throughout the Urkaine, I can honestly say I have no idea why on Earth you would want to move from the West to the Ukraine - unless you're doing it because of the women.

Apart from that, be prepared for poor quality food, bad healthcare, corrupt government, bribing - well, everyone for anything, and low, low salaries.

Horrible driving conditions, bizarre and abstract legal system that changes on a moment's notice, difficult retail environment, expensive clothes. Don't have a car? Great, you can use the absolutely lovely metro in Kiev (if that is your destination) or the fantastic bus/vans that pick people up on the street. The busses will pick you up at an authorized stop. The vans, well you just flag them down when you see them and stuff in with the other 20 or so people in a vehicle made for 12. Or, you can hail a gypsy cab (anyone will pull over if they see you with your hand outstretched on the road) and hope you don't get robbed and thrown in the Dnipro once your throat is cut.

Long, cold winters (in comparison to most of the US).

Oh, and if you are asian or black, be prepared to be treated as an outcast at the very best - if they even let you live there.

As for speaking Russian, the younger kids are now learning Ukrainian. If you understand Russian, you can get by in Ukrainian, but for the most part it is a different language. As for English, no. Spoken in probalby 10% of the people - if that.

Sure, lovely place. Would like to build a summer house there, actually.

#29     Apr 20, 2007
  10. You have just described latin america bluud .... great place to live.

We came to BA from NZ almost 4 years ago and have never left.
    We travel from BA to el caribe and have made a great lifestyle for ourselves.

#30     Apr 20, 2007