Will they please stop publishing great books!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nitro, Jun 15, 2005.

1. This "smell" you speak of is "insight", and this "crap detector" works only when experience is added to education. For instance, take smthg you are completely clueless about, nutrition. You wouldn't have a clue that smthg you just read was on the right track or complete BS. Here you have no smell and you can be easily misled and, subsequently, easily mislead [others].

I imagine you are also way over your head with most of the other subjects you read too.

LGW

#21     Sep 18, 2005
  2. nitro

nitro

All True.

If fact, I have no idea what to believe anymore when it comes to nutrition. One week having eggs is ok, the next it is not.

I now eat the way my parents do tamed by modern nutritional research, while excersising regularly, and listening to my body after each meal. My father is 74 years old, and my mother is 75 and in good health. If how they ate is good enough for them, it is good enough for me.

nitro

#22     Sep 18, 2005
  3. Wrong! (But you make my point nicely ;)

ps eggs are bad for you

#23     Sep 18, 2005
  4. I don't mean to be so harsh, read those subjects for enjoyment but don't think for one minute that you have any real knowledge of or insight into what is going on in those fields.

LGW

#24     Sep 18, 2005
  5. nitro

nitro

If what you are saying is true, why doesn't that train of thought apply to what you just said? In other words, I read something from a book from a respected source with credentials and according to you it does not guarantee real knowledge. You warn me about those books and that knowledge on an anonymous website...:D

I don't agree with you because not all (most ?) books are read as gospel but as a continuing dialogue between the static text of the author, and the readers dynamic experience. But that is ok. Let's bring this thread back on topic.

nitro

#25     Sep 18, 2005
  6. Totally agree. Anything published these days mostly looks good on the outside and it is only after you spend mountains of time on it that you discover that it contains basic flaws.

In the old days there was "peer review" and that has disappeared. These days write ups / reviews etc are plain BS.

Basic human psychology has not changed in ages and least of all the psychology surrounding trading (which is the oldest profession).

It is our opinion that most books published are the stories of failed attempts at building a trading environment (if it was working then they would be raking in the cash rather than write a book).

Maria

#26     Sep 18, 2005
  7. nitro

nitro

With the exception of TK9's request to recommend some trading books, all the books I have mentioned have nothing to do with trading, and you will not find a recommendation for a trading book from me on this thread unless asked to.

nitro

#27     Sep 18, 2005
  8. You said,

" Also, some of us, and I believe I am on of those, can "smell" when something has the "ring of truth." I may have a poorly placed conceit, but I doubt it."

Then you also admitted you are clueless about matters of nutrition, for example. Then how are to "smell" the "ring of truth" here? You can't question anything here because you have no prior knowledge or experience in the same. You can read the book but you cannot evaluate its merit because you have no context in which to place it.

You can't disagree with me because what I say is common sense.

Go ahead read for enjoyment but don't deceive yourself into believing that no matter the what the field that you can sense the truth. That's irrational assertion on your part and i thought i'd mention it..

LGW

#28     Sep 18, 2005
  9. I am aware of that. This is a trading website and putting it in perspective of trading was the easiest example to give.

Another example can be the internet. The origins were a communication channel for research and yet these days it is like an old gossip environment with more half truths and untruths than truths. Another thing would be eBay: Initially a wonderfull place to buy / sell but my brother calls it "the great scam site". If you cannot sell it anywhere else (because it is broken etc) then you give it a nice write up, lie through your teeth and put it on eBay damn well knowning that the electronics of the camera, computer, etc are fried.

I have no doubt that it is applicable to all other subject material too.

This is the age of mass deceit.

Maria

#29     Sep 18, 2005
  10. nitro

nitro

I agree.

But if you are already an expert in the field enough that you can tell that the book is bogus, you would not know that it is bogus until you read it. Then, you would give a bad review of it and explain why it is bad.

So instead of making generalizations, instead engage people in a dialogue on particular subjects that the book deals with, or the book itself. That is what Maria is attempting above in regards to trading books, and you are trying to emphasize in nutrition as another example of bad books.

But I have mentioned no books on trading and no books on nutrition. You could start a thread called, "Willl they please stop printing bad books" and put your choices in there, instead of making generalizations in this thread:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55691

Otherwise, tell me why any of the non-trading books I mentioned in this thread are wrong or bad.

nitro

#30     Sep 18, 2005