Will they please stop publishing great books!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nitro, Jun 15, 2005.

1. nitro

nitro

All books are a story line biased by it's writer(s.) Otherwise if we did not want to be moved at all, we would just need to buy once a year things like the Farmers Almanac.

Even a mathematical proof [in book form] is a statement of such force that it will convince all readers able to follow it's line of thought. But it is still a line of argument to influence. Most people are not worried about being influenced, but being lied to and being influenced by fanatically one sided views. Most discerning minds know the difference...That is why I find myself equially confortable viewing Michael Moore's "Farenheit 911" and "South Park Conservatives" from one day to the next and possibly agreeing with both! I am not only interested in the truth or falsity of a claim in book form or whatever, but the socialogical reasons for the need of the claim to be made in the first place, to read between the lines...One level of MetaPhysics is enough for me in the human arena (otherwise known as Sociology or Psychology, depending on whether you study society as a whole or the individual), but some people are interested in the MetaPhysics of the MetaPhysics...

While this is a political book and therefore likely to be biased, and while I have not read the whole book, I often get a feel for the voice that it is written in by opening the book to interesting sections and start reading. If the voice of the author is balanced and I learn something from those sections, it entices me to read other sections. If enough sections are being presented in a way that I find suitable for further study and I find the subject matter interesting, I will just buy the damn book and add it to my enourmous pile of things to read.

nitro

#11     Jun 19, 2005
  2. nitro

nitro

#12     Aug 28, 2005
  3. nitro

nitro

#13     Sep 6, 2005
  4. da-net

da-net

I've been keeping track of this thread and something dawned on me this weekend...I started looking at all my books, realized how much space they occupy and have decided to persue selling some of them. I think the best way would be to put like 10 or 15 books together and offer a great deal to other traders. I am not interested in putting them on eBay as I believe eBay has become so large they no longer care about their customers(members). Any thoughts from any of you as to a venue to sell them through?

#14     Sep 6, 2005
  5. nitro

nitro

I go to the local used bookstores. I get a fair price.

nitro

#15     Sep 6, 2005
  6. Would you please give an example or two of good and really expensive trading books? Apart from a few decent, albeit incomplete, introductory texts for someone just getting started, and some interesting biographies (including the Wizard books), I have yet to come across a "good" trading book.

#16     Sep 6, 2005
  7. nitro

nitro

I have given many before, but spread among 7000+ posts it might be hard to find. First some caveats. Trading to me is an art, so I don't know that one can "learn" to trade, only learn it's techniques. Then there is systemic trading which requires almost no trading skill and is mostly technique and possibly computer programming skill. This includes arbitrage etc.

Also, I can unequivally tell you that the time frame that you trade immensely affects how you approach and study that aspect of trading. For example, I base almost all of my long term trading on the old DOW theory along with modern understanding of the business cycle and, probably most importantly, the fact that I see day in and day out, year after year, almost every single tick in SIFs and I get a feel for where the markets want to go. Intraday, almost none of this affects me, and say a more relevant book might be William O'Neils books and understanding where and how money flows into sectors. The point is, while all of it is considered "trading" the techniques involved are hugely different, at least they are to me.

But I will answer the best I can and you will have to figure out where each fits in your own trading:

1) The Arbitrage Deskbook
    2) Campaign Trading
    3) The Treasury Bond Basis
    4) Investment Fables
    5) The Daytraders Survival Guide
    6) Trading to Win
    7) Intermarket Analysis
    8) Option Volatility and Pricing
    9) Trading and Exchanges

There are many many more, but you asked for two and the rest deal with more subtle mathematical theory of markets anyway.

nitro

#17     Sep 6, 2005
  8. nitro

nitro

For those that have ADD/ADHD/etc, which seems to be prevalent by people who frequent this website, here is a book from the founder of Kinkos who is sure he had/has it, was a terrible student, and went on to found Kinkos:

"Copy This! : Lessons from a Hyperactive Dyslexic who Turned a Bright Idea Into One of America's Best Companies"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-6924341-9312168?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Really interesting story...

nitro

#18     Sep 18, 2005
  9. How can you be sure you are buying KNOWLEDGE?
    Prof. Kapitza, Physics Nobel laureate of about 20 years ago was 90+ years old at that time. He had seen a lot of things happen during his life. Given his extraordinary experience, asked by journalists about the greatest problem for humankind, he replied without hesitation '(SCIENTIFIC) INFORMATION POLLUTION'.
    Today, the important is drowned in the goo of triviality.

nononsense

#19     Sep 18, 2005
  10. nitro

nitro

That is a real good question! I think we all make that decision based on our own mental makeup and experience. Also, some of us, and I believe I am on of those, can "smell" when something has the "ring of truth." I may have a poorly placed conceit, but I doubt it.

Then debating it with friends and collegues puts that conceit to the test.

nitro

#20     Sep 18, 2005