Will the S&P hit 1300 in February?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by rubberbird, Feb 1, 2006.

Will the S&P top 1300 in February?

1. Yes it will go higher than 1300

48 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. No, it won't top 1300, I agree with the bird

55 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. I don't know/I can't form opinions/the bird is a moron

29 vote(s)
    22.0%
  1. volente_00

volente_00

As January goes, so goes the year.

I think we will see 1300 by February option expiration.

#11     Feb 1, 2006
  2. Not sure if I qualify as an old-timer here yet, but here goes.

I'm long small S&P at present still mostly in cash until I have some clear indication of what the heck is going on.

I would like to be long but it is so hard to buy the market overall at these valuations. P/E's overall are just sky high - doesn't leave too much room for error in case this time its not different.

I'm waiting for a clear trend higher at current valuations. If we break 1300 s&p I may get long more. I would prefer if we break dow 11000 hard and firmly for a few closes. Fundamentally speaking, a few more rate raises and stratospheric p/e's with a new fed chairman and some uncertain economic times (along with the unfavorable demographics of the current world) bode ill.

So, I stay in cash while I wait for a clearer signal. At least I don't lose anything but opportunity cost.

#12     Feb 1, 2006
  3. patoo

patoo

I agree with HispaTrader. Until the triangle tightens even more I have to wait.

The Russell may get a rude awakening or it may be leading the way..who nose

#13     Feb 1, 2006
  4. If the YM can hold above 10950 this week..... then we will have a new multi year high... on all indices by Feb 14th.

#14     Feb 1, 2006
  5. volente_00

volente_00

LD, tell me you played the gap today.

#15     Feb 1, 2006
  6. It was my first play and i got stopped out..... It was a gap that should have NOT been faded. Also... gaps on the first trading day of the month rarely get filled that day. I forgot that little fact.

#16     Feb 1, 2006
  7. volente_00

volente_00

you lost me, how did you get stopped out ?

When I fade a gap down, I go long.

#17     Feb 1, 2006
  8. huh?.... we had a gap up today on the YM..... didnt we??:confused:

#18     Feb 1, 2006
  9. i know this thread is supposed to be for S&P..... but all i trade is the YM.... its the only indices i can talk about :(

#19     Feb 1, 2006
  10. Compared to the close yesterday from settlement prices the gap was down, in Dow, S&P, Nasdaq, and the Russell 2000. Although it appeared to be a gap up, it was actually a gap up from a gap down.

I trade the Russell and it closed @ 730.40 on the futures from a 736.70 settlement price, and opened the morning at 733.40. I'm sure there was a similiar circumstance on the YM also.

You were fading the fade without realizing it. File it away for future reference, it was a tricky situation.

Good trading to you!

Kelly

#20     Feb 1, 2006