Will the markets sell off after November 7, 2006?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by forex-forex, Oct 25, 2006.

Will the markets sell off after November 7, 2006?

Poll closed Nov 8, 2006.
  1. Yes

46 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    51.6%
  1. It is this diversity of opinions that makes a market. If you think the market will dive after the elections than go short, if you think the election news will rally the market go long, as long as it is part of your normal trading pattern to predicate market reaction on political events. I am more comfortable sticking with indicators myself.

It is true that past events are not predictors of future events, but it would be interesting to see how markets do in mid-term elections. Like maverick I too have been doing this for a while. I haven't done my research but I believe that the 90's rally didn't really take off until after the Republicans took the house (an maybe the senate.. not so sure on that), during a Clinton midterm.

American's love split government and so do the markets. With all that infighting and stalling and posturing nothing gets done. No new spending, impeachments,we are going back to the good old days.

Happy trading

#11     Oct 26, 2006

2. A very well thought out and presented post lionfish42. Two questions..

1.your first post yet you say that "as I mentioned to Mav a while back"??? do you know him personally or were you someone else in another incarnation here on ET ????? :p

2..if either you or Mav or Momoney or someone else would be so kind to say what you mean by "soft" deltas? (the underlying?)

Thank you, RR

#12     Oct 26, 2006
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Lionfish is a friend of mine. He is a first time poster, so be nice. And don't hold it against him that he is a friend of mine. LOL.

Soft deltas are OTM options. Hard deltas are ATM and ITM options and the underlying. Soft deltas are all juice and only exist as a function of time. Hard deltas are real, very real.

#13     Oct 26, 2006
  4. Historically Sep and Oct are bearish, so whats your point.

#14     Oct 26, 2006
  5. Thanks Mav and I'll try to keep it civil...I promise! :D

#15     Oct 26, 2006
  6. My advise is to wait, just sit back and wait. Now if your a gambler and like trying your luck then trade from the long side. Dont try and pick the top all you are doing is helping the rally when your stop gets hit.

Sit back be a professional and wait for a correction, then lets see how the correction behaves.

#16     Oct 26, 2006
  7. Doh! You caught me. Yes I do read these market prediction threads with their endless drivel....it's an addiction.

[EDIT: I see Maverick has already answered]

#17     Oct 26, 2006
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

BTW, Lionfish is a published author as well. So be on your best behavior.

#18     Oct 26, 2006
  9. Being high is not a reason to sell stock - Jesse Livermore

#19     Oct 26, 2006
  10. Who said I was high? :D

#20     Oct 26, 2006