Will the market plunge if (or when) Obama gets elected as Dem candidate?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by crgarcia, May 7, 2008.

1. However can you imagine what we could've done with a trillion $$ in public investment? We could have put Saudi and Iran and Venezuela out of business forever.

It's simply tragic.

#51     May 8, 2008
  2. OMG, a regular Robin Hood. How well have hand outs worked in the past? Last I checked ABOUSHI, we have made somewhere around $7 trillion USD in wealth redistribution or transfer payments to the poor during the aclaimed "War on Poverty" and where has it got us? Is there still poverty in the US? How could that be? Additionally, how many poor people can afford to create jobs or businesses? How many homeless folks have signed your paycheck? Hand outs don't work; do some homework before deriding people's economic competency. Another thing; why would companies increase their FDI? Could it be that it's way too expensive and cost prohibitive to set up shop domestically or could regulatory, licensing, and compliance costs add massive layers to cost strucutres and gouging tax rates diminish returns? If you are so concerned about FDI, then give corporations insentives in the form of relaxed government and regulatory intervention in how they run their businesses.

#52     May 8, 2008
  3. heywally

heywally

You're right but he is the leadership and we have had much more of an impetus to make some serious changes to our energy policy since he's been in office. Some of the energy issue is his doing with the invasion of Iraq and subsequent empowering of Iran (and the potential danger of Iraq/Iran morphing to one superpower as Iran helps 'fill the void' in Iraq) - the general unease regarding supply.

I know we're going nowhere with this thread but I'll just say that I'm prepared to support whoever is elected (FWIW) - I am sick and tired of the devisiveness and cynical sniping in this country and am ready for and support both 'sides' sitting down and hashing out the big issues.

In other words, I want change.

#53     May 8, 2008
  4. gnome

gnome

Oh come on. Surely you see the gaping hole in that argument...

#54     May 8, 2008
  5. So you think the market randomly bottomed the same month we entered Iraq?

#55     May 8, 2008
  6. bellman

bellman

Oh, that is a scary comment. It sent chills down my spine. The last time I heard that excuse was back in 2000 and 2004 when they were justifying a vote for Bush. Yikes!!

#56     May 8, 2008
  7. gnome

gnome

No, but it was phony-baloney. We've seen the "money-pump" side of the equation (inflation, huge increase in national debt, etc), but we haven't seen the "piper gets paid" part yet... probably won't be recognized when we do. Somebody else will end up taking the blame for the burden he left us.

#57     May 8, 2008
  8. Sell the rumor ..buy the fact?
    :D

Seriously though modern war generally removes uncertainty It was the same in '91

#58     May 8, 2008
  9. bellman

bellman

The counter-idea is that the poor are actually productive citizens, and if you give them money they will go from working two jobs down to one, or from one job to simply unemployed. Also, the poor's demand of food is really inelastic, so giving them money does not increase food spending, and that their discretionary spending is on crap that doesn't really help the economy. Further, if the poor have more money they'll have more free time, and thus crime will go up... The list goes on and on...

Full disclosure: I am poor.

#59     May 8, 2008
  10. bellman

bellman

Ironically it was his father who took the blame when the mismanagement of the Reagan years first began to be recognized.

btw, could not agree more with the gnome on this point.

#60     May 8, 2008