Will the Fed pause on Tuesday?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Rearden Metal, Aug 4, 2006.

What will the Fed announce on Tuesday?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2006.
  1. The Fed will finally pause- I'm sure of it!

17 vote(s)
    8.9%
  2. I think the Fed will pause.

50 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. I think the Fed will hike rates another quarter point.

67 vote(s)
    35.1%
  4. Quarter point rate hike coming on Tuesday- I'm sure of it!

35 vote(s)
    18.3%
  5. I have no clue what will happen.

22 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. what do the fed fund futs say? what are the chances for a hike?

#21     Aug 5, 2006
  2. Feds will pause, the market will sell off on news.

#22     Aug 5, 2006
  3. does any1 know? otherwise this is a useless discussion.

#23     Aug 5, 2006
  4. I think Ralph00 has it correct, the recent run-up in the inflation numbers are being caused by factors outside of the feds control. Remember the Fed can only tighten or relax the money supply and neither will have an effect on energy prices and the resulting bleed through. I think no ease yet and a 75% of adopting a neutral policy. Buying the two year t-note is a good bet even with the recent run-up.

#24     Aug 5, 2006
  5. Does anyone here trade Fed Funds Binary options on the CBOT? I think the Fed is going to have to tighten at LEAST 2 out of the next 4 meetings left in this calendar year. I'm in the 5.75-6.00 range due to the stronger than expected inflation pressure and consequent WEAKENING of the DOLLAR as (foreshadowed on Thursday-Friday. Notice how weak the dollar was on threat of a rate pause?). The Fed has to stand by its pledge to fight inflation, even if they have to sacrifice the econonmy for a short period. Fed will have to tighten to 5.75 and possibly 6 by december meeting.

(Related Aside) US recession is on the horizon, watch for a weak rally on low volume if Fed pauses. Market will peak below its May highs and begin to slide, possibly, towards a crash precipitated by a surprisingly bad Q3/Q4 GDP/inflation/earnings report(s) and the realization that the markets are overbought... imagine high velocity outflow of hot money. This risk is only enhanced by the efficiency of the programs and algorhythms rocking the markets today. Think about the nature of financial markets and speed of price movements today as compared to 2001 and the 1980's.

The market could tragically oversell simply based on the efficiiency and speed of todays trading technology. Think about how quickly stocks like GOOG, CME, PD, SNDK move... imagine how these stocks will gap down once the bulk investors start to execute large block orders to get out of the riskiest stocks - very bad Q3/Q4 earnings are the best candidate for the commencement of this coming fiasco. SPY could easily penetrate their intermediate low of ~75 and approach 60...

Anyway, I'm milking the fvcking screws out of this one. Money time.

#25     Aug 5, 2006

6. Your trading account is on a collision course with disaster.

#26     Aug 5, 2006
  7. sorry but i have to agree...all the easy money to be made on the short side has already been collected...august might not be typically strong but also december usually is and it doesn't always pan out. given the recent round of declines odds for lower prices [65 on spy R0R!] are sort of astronomical.

#27     Aug 5, 2006

8. High oil is here to stay period. It will go higher it is not transitory, when was the last time oil stayed this high for this period of time?

#28     Aug 5, 2006
  9. Slow steady rise, thats what is killing us. This cycle is unique.

#29     Aug 5, 2006
  10. why do you think his trading account is headed for disaster?

#30     Aug 5, 2006