Will the EU Go After Goldmans?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by christianhgross, Feb 15, 2010.

1. And here's what I got from Draghi's wikipedia page :

Draghi is frequently mentioned as a potential successor to Jean-Claude Trichet, whose term as President of the European Central Bank ends October 2011

Enjoy!

#21     Feb 16, 2010
  2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6

wanna laugh ?

Draghi Had No Role in Greek Swaps at Goldman, Bank of Italy Says
    By Lorenzo Totaro
    Feb. 17 (Bloomberg) -- Bank of Italy Governor Mario Draghi had no role in swaps arranged by Goldman Sachs Group Inc. for the Greek government in 2002, the central bank said in a statement today.
    Draghi also had no role in any subsequent swaps involving Greece while at Goldman, a Bank of Italy spokeswoman said by phone today. Draghi was a Goldman Sachs International vice president between 2002 and 2005.
    Swaps used by Italy in the 1990s to manage its debt were “reviewed and certified” by the European Union, the central bank also said in the statement. Draghi was head of the Italian Treasury between 1991 and 2001.
    http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...reek-swaps-at-goldman-bank-of-italy-says.html

Why does he need to say this, right now ?
    There's a saying in latin:
    "escusatio non petita, accusatio manifesta"=He who excuses himself, accuses himself.

#22     Feb 17, 2010
  3. Don't get me wrong: I don't think GS is squeaky clean by any means.

I just don't like people blaming their mostly self-created predicaments on popular scapegoats du jour.

I think what would be cool is for someone to outfox the fox, as opposed to just complaining about how sly he is.

I'm happy they are making money, so they can bring a big stake when they come play in the TX Power mkt.

And if I'm the one that gets hammered, then it's my fault. not GS's...

We're all adults here.

I do feel some pity for taxpayers who's govts get spanked for playing out of their league. They should vote those guys out!

#23     Feb 18, 2010