Will the collapse of the dollar empty your trading account?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Jun 12, 2009.

1. If you looked at it instead as a percentage of the productive portion of GDP, instead of pretending that consumer buying was a positive, you'd find that the US is in much worse condition than it looks when you include consumer spending at 72% of GDP. After all, you can only repay that debt with production, not spending.

#11     Jun 12, 2009
  2. I'm on the floor. With everyone and there mother shorting the $ and looking for a collapse they will be squeezed to death just like the dow 5k guys were. ALSO WHATS VERY IMPORTANT IS THE REST OF THE WORLD IS IN AS BAD OR WORSE SIUTATION THAN THE US WHICH MAKES A COLLAPSE UNLIKELY.

#12     Jun 12, 2009
  3. That's a very good point. America is fundamentally better off than the vast majority of countries.

The major difference is that no one prints money like we do. Money supply is out of control.

We are also quickly growing into a impossible debt. What would happen if there were clues of defaulting on any of our Treasuries we seemingly offer every week. Obviously that is unlikely, but who knows.

Support HR 1207 "Audit the Fed"

#13     Jun 12, 2009
  4. obviously that is not the real reason behind globalization, yet it is a gradual and positive outcome of globalization, I don't get what's so pessimistic about it, most humans are worthless and easily replaceable, globalization only helps them realize the obvious

---

donate to breast cancer research fund. take these easy steps to protect the environment and go green; drive a hybrid car, donate to organizations that research possible renewable energies, hug a bear, and paint your kids green

#14     Jun 12, 2009
  5. SILVER is no guarantee. GOLD is what people want in a disaster

#15     Jun 12, 2009
  6. one blind guess is as good as another. Seriously, the prophets of doom have been calling it for 200 years.

#16     Jun 12, 2009
  7. piezoe

piezoe

The US dollar and the US economy won't totally collapse any time soon, just remain relatively weak in terms of real growth after correcting for inflation. The number one driver of the stock market is inflation, and there will be plenty of that. Just as in the Reagan years when the U.S. made everything look Rosie by borrowing and spending the same will happen now, but just not quite as Rosie with so much unemployment. But that will get better as the borrowed stimulus money gradually hits the economy. I'll be dead before the final collapse. I'll let you young guys worry about it.

P.S. There is always a chance that the Obama Administration will succeed in breaking the U.S. medical Cartel, that defense spending will be brought under control (meaning a decrease of 50 to 70%) and that Social Security will be put on a sound footing (Easily done!). Then of course the U.S. could turn things around, but i'm not counting on it.

#17     Jun 12, 2009
  8. Some junk silver may come in handy to buy groceries.

#18     Jun 12, 2009
  9. ttbodnar

ttbodnar

Gold and Silver are Just as risky as the dollar if you are that worried transfer some funds over to other currencies and trade/invest those funds with other curencis into american companies which should rise with increased inflation look at currencies like Australia/NZ/CANADA whose economies are tied to various natural resoureces that should hold up well if the dollar/euro declines

#19     Jun 12, 2009
  10. :confused: you mean easily said than done

or maybe you're thinking they'll just increase the retirement age to 92, you're right, that would be easy

---

go yellow, donate to increase public awareness about bladder cancer, tobacco smoking is the main known cause of urinary bladder cancer, say no to smoking, donate your urine today

#20     Jun 12, 2009