Will SX2800-01 and DX4200-09 work with a pair of Hanns·G HH-281HPB 28" ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saxon22, Mar 10, 2010.

1. After getting my IRS business out of the way (BTW I need to move out of the city), I have decided to upgrade my back up as well as internet pc. This is what I got:

I. PC #1 - internet and other fun, non essential things:

Gateway DX4200-09

* AMD Phenom X4 9100e 1.8GHz
    * Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
    * 4GB Memory
    * 640GB Hard Disk Drive
    * DVD-RW
    * Keyboard & Mouse
    * Integrated ATI® Radeon™ HD 3200 Hybrid Graphics with up
    to 256MB of Shared Video Memory

II. PC # 2 - Back up - in case my main PC gives way - this set up will have exactly the same configuration as my trading rig.

Gateway SX2800-01

* 2.33GHz Intel Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 /
    * 4GB DDR3 SDRAM /
    * 640GB Hard Drive
    * DVD-RW
    * Keyboard & Mouse
    * integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X4500

Unfortunately, after I purchased them I forgot to find out if they will work with my monitors which are : Hanns·G HH-281HPB 28" x 2.

Now that both machines are on the way, I worry if they will work with my screens at full resolution.

Anybody handy out there who could advise????????????

2. No problem at all. Those monitors have 1920x1200, resolution which any modern video card can handle. Even the onboard video chip on your mobos will probably handle it, but in VGA. If you want to use DVI, you'll have to add a video card to each.

3. I was hoping to be able to use HDMI cable since this is how I have my reg. rig connected and the two new set ups also have HDMI connections. I was thinking of basically having everything connected using just HDMI to make it easy and uniform across the board. Would that be a problem with on board video cards? :confused:

4. So, your monitors have HDMI cables? If so, you just need video cards with HDMI ports... not all do. Or are you saying that your computer MOBO has HDMI connection built in? If so, this is the first I've heard of that feature.

Some new cards have Display Ports.... and there are DVI/DP cables you can buy. DP is the coming thing... likely to replace HDMI at some point.. the new DP 1.2 boasts >21 GB/s throughput.

5. Both Machines have HDMI connections listed n the specs. and so do the monitors. Being able to connect using HDMI would make things easier. As a matter of fact the reason I selected those two (aside from super low price) was the HDMI hook up. I already have the cables and experience dealing with them.

BTW. Thanx for all the info!

6. I/O Ports & Connectors 1 x RJ-45, 1 x RJ-11
    1 x VGA
    1 x HDMI
    2 x IEEE1394 (Firewire) 1 x Line-In (Headphone)
    1 x Input (Microphone)
    1 x PS2 (Keyboard)
    1 x PS2 (Mouse)
    2 x USB (Front)
    4 x USB (Back)

This is what the spec list for the DX4200 lists:

The sx2800 is similar HDMI wise

7. Well, would make sense to have HDMI on the mobo. Presuming the onboard video chip supports 1920x1200, you should be good to go.

8. If you are planning to run 2 monitors, you'll still need to get a video card. In fact, you might need to get TWO video cards... unless you can find one with 2 HDMI ports, as your mobo HDMI may not work with your video card. Not really a problem as there is a solution regardless... just perhaps not as convenient a one as you'd like. I checked the specs on the monitor... says it includes an "HDMI-DVI" cable. It's expecting you're going to use the DVI port on your video card to connnect the monitor. But you don't have DVI on your mobo. If that info is correct, you'll either have to get a video card with DVI or get an HDMI cable (male, both ends).

9. I did some research and came up with this page:
    http://techreport.com/articles.x/14261

It seems that the 780G chipset is not as weak as one would have assumed.

I especially like the two independent display controllers.

I cannot wait to get my hands on the machines to see how well they will integrate with the rest of the gadgets at home.

10. If that's what you've got, then you're probably OK... an HDMI-DVI cable will work... but it seems contrary to what you initially described.... you did not mention the DVI port, if applicable.

A mobo with DVA, DVI, and HDMI ports.... makes sense today.... but it's only the 2nd mobo I've seen with both DVI and VGA ports.... it's the 1st I've seen with DVI, VGA, and HDMI ports. Kudos!

BTW... Don't regard me as any kind of "authority"... I only observe what I come across... not holding myself out as any kind of expert on anything...

#10     Mar 11, 2010