Will Schwab Clients be able to use ThinkorSwim post-Aquisition?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Atikon, May 10, 2020.

1. Atikon

Atikon

Just wanted to hear your thoughts, maybe even Industry Insights whether Schwab Clients will be able to use TOS after/if Schwab will aquire TDAmeritrade?

I can't see Schwab cancelling TOS for their Webbased Platform. TOS seems far superior to me. As a European, I would sign up back with Schwab in no-time to get access to TOS. Still can't get over the fact that TDA kicked all EU Clients out

2. I feel fairly confident that Schwab will keep TOS.

3. Ameritrade bought TOS for 640$ Million back in thoes days. It worth probably around a $ Billion today.
    It Charles Schawb dump it, it would be wased money. It make sense to see Schwab even Improving it further.

But i played around with it last month, i personaly Think IB TWS and Tradestation are both far superior software in term of what functionalities and features they offer. Please prove me wrong ..

4. No need to prove anything -- a lot of this stuff is personal preference. I have both TOS and TradeStation. I like how my charts look on TOS better than TradeStation and as a discretionary trader, that has been beneficial for making decisions. There are a few things I can do on TradeStation that I can't do on TOS so having both has worked for me. I should also add that I initially hated TOS but after I spent some time customizing it, it really started to work for me.

taowave likes this.
  5. R1234

R1234

I really hope so. I use Street Smart Edge and I find it rudimentary and crude.

Atikon likes this.
  6. As you well know, TWS charting is a total nightmare. In a few words, its faulty, clumsy, and heavy. Not saying you can't use it (I do), but it's full of problems. Some of them are horrible, especially for what I need it to do. I love the IB API though.

thinkScript is a nice little tool that can make TOS much more capable, but you have to know how to write algo's, scripts, and use math and stats.

(transforming/normalizing/scaling/combining time series).

Just last night, I wrote a script to have a futures differential and the hedge leg on the same chart. The script was easy to write. There are thousands of free studies to mess with, and all of their source code is available to play with.

EasyLanguage seems cool but I haven't gotten around to that.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Zor_Champ, qaz and formikatrading like this.
  7. gowthamn

gowthamn

I am using TDAmeritrade API for trading. Hope they don't just cancel it.

8. Atikon

Atikon

Got 8gb Ram a 8gb GPU and it still lags at times when showing the whole option chain. Furthermore counterintuitive. I get that ppl like the strategy builder/probability lab. But I much rather do that in R or Excel

9. Edmond

Edmond

I called Schwab when the purchase was announced. It’s going to take two years for the deal to be completed.
    Schwab said one of the reasons for buying TDA was to get the TOS platform.

Real Money and Atikon like this.
  10. Atikon

Atikon

When did you call them? Pre Corona?

#10     May 10, 2020