Will Rummy Survive?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dougcs, May 10, 2004.

1. Since the prisoner scandal broke, Bush has shown support for Rumsfeld on several occasions.

So, how long till Rummy takes one for the team and gets fired?

DS

2. Unlikely I would say. The Bushes are ver loyal to their people, overly so some would say. In this case I think it is a little unfair to blame Rumsfeld. The brass do not like him, and I can't rule out their letting this scandal simmer in an effort to get him.

3. ask ariel sharon.

grimer11

4. I did not intend to blame Rumsfeld as I have no idea how directly responsible he may be.

I was wondering if the scandal politically is too great a problem for Bush's reelection that Rummy becomes the scapegoat for this.

DS

5. Good question. As much as I'd hate to see him go, I do think at some point he will resign. If more pictures come out and put a bad taste in the mouths of Americans, Bush will have no choice but to replace his defense secretary.

Then again, if this is not a systematic problem, there may be a chance that this administration can do enough damage control to keep the situation from getting overly volatile.

6. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you personally were blaming him. I just meant the press and political opponents.

7. Personally, I think Rummy is a true professional.... whether or not I agree with his policies, he is certainly committed to his job...

8. It's a pity that Ashcroft wasn't chosen as the scapegoat du jour instead. :(

9. Interesting point, Rearden...

10. (excerpt)
    http://slate.msn.com/id/2100201/

#10     May 10, 2004