Will Quantum Computing Change Day-Trading for Users of Technical Analysis?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by easymon1, Sep 26, 2019.

1. easymon1

easymon1

Will Quantum Computing Change Day-Trading for the Users of Technical Analysis?

dwave.jpg
    The D-Wave 2000Q™ System
    The most advanced quantum computer in the world
    https://www.dwavesys.com/d-wave-two-system

D-Wave Systems
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Wave_Systems

On the impact of quantum computing technology on future developments in high-performance scientific computing
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10676-017-9438-0
    "Conclusion
    . . . In our opinion, quantum-enhanced scientific computing is an exciting new field that has the highest chances to become a game-changing technology if quantum hardware gets integrated into conventional HPC systems and used as special-purpose accelerators for those tasks for which efficient quantum algorithms exist. Approaches like quantum-accelerated cloud services are required to bring practical quantum computers to the stakeholders from industry and academia, which will help quantum computing as possible next-generation compute technology to pass the valley of death.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  2. henry76

henry76

But surely this just speeds things up ( a lot admittedly), isn't A I far more of a threat , than the actual speed of the computations?

raVar likes this.
  3. easymon1

easymon1

mr henry76
    please expand
    thanks

4. maxinger

maxinger

Perhaps AI computing and not Quantum Computing will change the way day trading is done.

Day trading is not some complex mathematical things.
    In fact, you just need to know + - * / only.
    And trading is an art, with some science.
    It is not pure science and maths.

Well. For HFT, you will need powerful machines & smart programmers

5. Turveyd

Turveyd

AI is currently just clever codes that mimics in very limit ways AI, it's never going to be real AI, not in my life time anyway, just university's talking BS to justify there grant money IMHO!!

yc47ib and raVar like this.
  6. i do not believe quantum computing will be reality for long time in the future. it could be useful for very limited task where middle status of computing is not needed, and pure random generator as an example.

7. zdreg

zdreg

8. Turveyd

Turveyd

At doing a very specific and limited task, which is pretty much never actually required in the real world.

Even then it's only faster, faster doesn't equal AI or enable a computer to predict 1 minute ahead for trading.

10,000 years to compute without, definately sounds 100% real to me LOL

comagnum likes this.
  9. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

The problem is that Wall Street firms will have access to it for a long time prior to it becoming available to the mom & pop trader.

Actually, I believe research/universities, military, pharmaceuticals, medicine and other sciences will have access to it prior to the consumer...similar to when computers, internet and other great technologies was first available.

Simply, its a reality right now...its the reason why there's talk about it and names of specific organizations that has access to it. We're talking about multi-million dollars machines only in the early stages of its development.

I hope I'm alive to see it in stores :D

Regardless, Wall Street or the firms they're partner with will have access to it prior to the retail trader regardless if the retail trader uses technical analysis or not technical analysis.

Wall Street will always be a technology step ahead of the retail trader.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  10. It's too early to tell. Quantum computing is still a concept and needs to be better defined and broadly adopted to make its way into industrial applications. For example today, oftentimes the performance limitations are not hardware but software constraints. In hft the current speed limitations are not on the hardware but software side. One could employ FPGAs and yet be constrained by pre trade risk checks and the like, all of which are software based. That is why most hft firms today rely on conventional CPUs and machines and use C++ rather than FPGAs and Verilog/VHDL.

#10     Sep 26, 2019
    TommyR likes this.