Will PC trading software migrate to ipad?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 0008, Sep 1, 2010.

1. No, not yet I'll give it a try and see if it will work. If I can get a second login id from IB that will not logoff my existing account when I connect through TWS this would be very useful. I'll let you know if I have any success.

edit: This doesn't seem very feasible without the TWS source code. Looks like you need to modify/re-compile on the Android SDK. The good news is this doesn't look very difficult and since Android is Java based, IB should have a native TWS app soon. I'm surprised they haven't released one yet to be honest now that I see what is involved.

#21     Oct 2, 2010
  2. I did a little more research on something called J2ME Runner that is used for eSignal conversion you mentioned above. It claims you can run jar files and J2ME Runner will convert to Android runtime code on the fly without the source code.

"Install jar/jad files on android device with an application called Andorid J2ME MIDP Runner. With this application, you can instantly port any existing J2ME [jar/jad] application into android [apk] without source code."

http://www.renjusblog.com/2010/09/install-jar-files-android-j2me-runner.html

will try when I have more time. Hopefully you don't need to root your phone to get this to work... if so I'll just wait until IB releases TWS for Android.

#22     Oct 2, 2010
  3. Mr J

Mr J

I've seen a lot of talk about the programs running slower though (using j2me runner).

I've looked into remote desktops, and it looks like the most convenient option. Seems like it would be quicker to "get up and running" between breaks, as well as support proper software.

I was concerned about data usage of a remote desktop, but from what I've read it's not actually that great.

Given that other platforms are supported and that it's shown as implemented in the poll section of the site, I'd expect it sometime in the near future. I wouldn't mind it on pc either.

#23     Oct 2, 2010
  4. The advantages of an iPad are its lightness and (if you enrolled early enough) inexpensive flat-rate data plan. Otherwise a notebook is superior.

I sometimes use iTWS on an iPhone. On something with a 7" screen, say, the new Blackberry, you could have a market data panel and a couple trading panels open simultaneously, and that would be all I'd need. (Well, that and support for spreads.)

#24     Oct 2, 2010
  5. Mr J

Mr J

iPad, maybe, but there are a bunch of windows/android tablets coming out, or out already. There's also significant difference between the mobility and comfort of laptops and tablets. Tablets will significantly improve in performance and handle the needs for most users, and I expect over time, laptops and desktops will be reserved for business and gaming uses. S

ure, a tablet won't do much a laptop can't do, apart from superior mobility, but it's all most users will need. We already see smartphones filling a lot of the uses that were previously reserved for laptops or desktops.

#25     Oct 3, 2010
  6. LeeD

LeeD

If you are referring to "tablet PCs", these have been around for quite a few years. Effectively, Tablet PC is a laptop with a rotation touchscreen. They didn't get much popularity due to being slightly heavier and bulkier (rubust rotating screen) and more expensive than a a laptop of comparable spec.

If you are talking about tablets with Andriod etc, the main hadicap is software compatibility. Mac has been around for many year but only a small proportion of PC applications work on Mac. The same goes for Linux. For instance, among retail charting platforms I am not aware of a single one that works and is supported by developers on Mac.

Regarding what a user may want to do on the move, the first thing that comes te mind is E-mail... and here blackberry is vastly superior to both iphone and ipad because it has a keyboard. Web-pages use flash and java and siverlight... and I don't see all of these working smoothly in single mobile platform any time soon.

Mobile phones witha large screen certainly have their place in teh market. They provide usable internet connection in a pocket format. Then they can play music, take low quality pictures etc. A larger-sice tablet liek an iPad looses this unique selling point of fitting in most pocket... and I am sure it will remain a very much niche product for a long time... similar to portable DVD players.

#26     Oct 7, 2010
  7. Mr J

Mr J

Yes, but I'm referring to the iPad, new Android tablets, and the Windows 7 tablets.

My tablet runs windows 7, and therefore will run anything anyone runs on their desktop. Intensive processes may be slow, but TWS and charting software, for example, run very well.

I agree. I've found I don't need the 10 inches of my tablet, as 4 or 4.3 will do while remaining pocketable. Tablets really can't compare to a good smartphone in terms of mobility and convenience. Not too far down the road, I expect smartphones would be as powerful as my tablet, if that is the direction the manufactures choose. Smartphones could also close the gap in size by using additional screens (battery drain for now, but as technology improves this could become practical).

I don't think tablets are going to be a niche as the size isn't a problem for many. The iPad hasn't done too badly, and I could picture a lot of commuters (especially those who already use bags) and students liking that kind of size.

I think the idea that it won't catch on it just a problem of perception. People shouldn't be viewing them as an ipod touch with a massive screen (regardless of what Apple does), but as a more portable or comfortable netbook/laptop. I think that's where the future lies, and over time, the laptop market will mostly consist of tablets, and tablets with keyboards (both phyical and software. i.e. dual screen).

#27     Oct 8, 2010
  8. anyone try login to tws on android phone? not android tws but the standard tws

or use jar file on android

#28     Sep 10, 2013
  9. Daal

Daal

I tried to trade on a Android tablet and it sucks ass. I've tested TD Ameritrade, MBTrading and IB apps. They are all extremely limited in the amount of charts you can look at (usually 1) and the loss of productivity to a regular Windows application is huge.
    To open or close out a position they work just fine but to really trade they suck

#29     Sep 11, 2013
  10. of course its mostly the techies newbie traders that ask about trading on an Ipad. Any serious trader would never contemplate trading on an Ipad. I personally find the idea of trading on a device that small as something only a dumb*ss would do.

#30     Sep 11, 2013