Will Obama's jobs plan improve the economy?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by chaosclarity, Sep 8, 2011.

1. people who pay minimum wage don't have "extra" employees around.

If wages were to ever go down they would not decide to hire more.

So...the "worker" has them by the balls. They will pay no matter how high.

The politicians don't get money from "workers" but they do get it from the guys who pay minimum wage.

This is just classic communisim. You can read all about it in Das Kapital.

The only thing is, I think he skipped over the part about how to START a business, but once you got it going and are paying minimum wage he knows just what should happen to you.

#51     Sep 10, 2011
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

So the minimum wage worker has his employer by the balls huh?
    Couldn't the employer simply replace the employee with another min wage worker. It's not like they're highly trained rocket scientists now are they?

Personally i don't think there should even be a min wage dictated by the government. At least not the federal government anyway.

#52     Sep 10, 2011
  3. I know, that's why they need a minimum wage workers union.

The dues would have to be awfully small

#53     Sep 10, 2011
  4. when I lived out there in CA, there was this area sort of like Carmel, right on the ocean. It was all mansions and country clubs and upscale hotels.

The problem was, nobody who worked there could afford to live there.

So the local township or community (it was less than a county) raised the minimum wage to something like $13/hr, which was unheard of at the time.

I guess it worked out ok. No business closed because they had to pay a dishwasher an extra $40 per night.

#54     Sep 10, 2011
  5. To think that a stimulus will create jobs, fix the economy, or whatever is to also believe in Bastiat's Broken Window Fallacy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window

If one believes in stimulus, then the best way to stimulate would be to hire all of the inner city unemployed teens to break things all over the place. The more stuff that's broken, the better off we'll be, as all the stuff will have to be fixed and that will create so many jobs.....at least that's what Keynesians think.

I would like to see any evidence of any jobs bill ever lowering unemployment....just one bill, that's all I ask.

#55     Sep 10, 2011
  6. The problem is, nobody wants to work for a living anymore.

You would think some enterprising crooked politcian would stop trying to sell himself to lobbyists who already have a politician and go out and try to sell himself to the poor.

Oh sure, it would take a lot more work, but they say 47% of the people don't even make enough to pay taxes, so that's a lot of people.

Instead of getting paid 100k at a time, you just get it $10 a head, but a lot more heads.

Once everybody realizes you are paid for by 47% of the population, you should pretty much get your way.

#56     Sep 10, 2011
  7. Default would be best option for jobs creation long term. Looking at 1998 asian default, those nations which defaulted now have the lowest unemployment rates in the world. How does that work? Basically you kill unions and dismantle the modern robber barons.

#57     Sep 10, 2011
  8. And to think this guy went to Harvard !!....unbelievable :eek:

#58     Sep 10, 2011
  9. When the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, the unemployment rate went negative.

Everybody had a job whether you wanted one or not.

They even had to hire ladies to do mens jobs.

#59     Sep 10, 2011
  10. The thing to remember about Keynes is, when he'd propose some idea, a thinking man would always object saying, "In the long run this won't work."

To which Keynes replied, "Well, in the long run we'll all be dead."

#60     Sep 10, 2011