will more memory help a heavy proccessor load ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chiguy, Dec 2, 2005.

1. help...

i am running an ibm 6221 workstation with dual xeon 3.2ghz chips and a gig of ram...

due to the fact i am runnings dde sheets and diferent trading software my cpu load is heavy...

will adding more ram from the current 1 gig to 4 gig help...

thanks in advance for the advice...

by theway i am already using two machines and 7 monitors...i have no more room so how do i get more horsepower with out making the lights dim

2. gnome

gnome

One or more of your programs is hogging your CPU, though it may not be doing so with your RAM.

Check Task Manager to see how your RAM is used at full load. Adding more may help a bit in one area, but pegging the CPU is almost never a sign of RAM deficiency.

3. task manager reads a page file usage of 696mb...

cpu ranges between 32% / 90% depending on market activity....

memory is fairly constant though...

4. gnome

gnome

696MB page file? That seems like a lot (mine's only 41MB at full load.)

So, you physical memory is 1GB, and your "Commit Charge (K)" Limit is ???? (The difference between those two numbers is your page file.)

5. here it is...

6. Heh, my PF Usage on my main system is at 954MB!
    CPU Usage is between 30-90%
    Still only has 1 GB memory but I'll bump it to 2 next time I open the box.

7. gnome

gnome

OK, you're using 771MB total with 1024 physical RAM and 1.5GB of page file.

That should be enough. Adding more RAM probably won't give any noticeable speed increase. Your setup is taxing the capabilities of your rig a bit, but there is little you can do to improve things... except perhaps change one of the programs which is using the most CPU, if that's possible for you.

8. i've cut it back the best i can...

i know just enough to be dangerous and i am afraid to try to rewrite my spreadsheets as i do not know anything better than dde or rtd...

is there a better proccessor for this kind of load short of massive
    upgrades?

9. Bsulli

Bsulli

would be better if you posted a similar screen shot but of the process tab instead. That is what will tell you which app is chewing up the horsepower.

:)

10. by your command...

#10     Dec 2, 2005