Will interest rates ever go up again?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by jrcase, Mar 19, 2009.

1. jrcase

jrcase

It seems to me that the Fed will not let rates rise and will do anything to stop it from happening. I can understand lowering the short term rate to 0-0.25% to stimulate the economy but would have hoped it would be short term. When they started buying long term Treasuries with money created out of thin air, I think they went too far. What happened to the free market anyway?

I guess I am not on the same page as most people in wanting rates to rise, but I would love to be able to retire and need higher rates to have an income. Will we ever see long term rates north of 6 or 7 percent again? Something tells me the Fed will not let that happen at all costs even with the threat of inflation. Thoughts?

2. rosy2

rosy2

rates are going to fly up.

China the new federal reserve bank of america.

3. gkishot

gkishot

They are buying the long term treasuries in an attempt to lower the long term mortgage rates. Once the housing market stabilizes the long-term rates will go up.

4. Be careful what you ask for....you may just get them.....when you do you will be screaming "blue bloody murder" at the end.

Trust me , interest rates and taxes will rise over the next few years....