Will indicating a retired in a margin application with Ameritrade get me rejected?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by rvsw, Nov 27, 2018.

1. rvsw

rvsw

I have had to quit my job due to disability. I have had a more than 10 year relationship with Ameritrade but for most of the time I have had only $ 40,000 in the account. A substantial part of my savings were with a different broker.

When I'm filling out the application for margin trading, it asks me about my occupation. It also asks me about the total assets which given that they are more than 1 million hopefully will suffice.

I am not at the age of retirement still (around 50) - so I can technically also mention that I'm unemployed. Which one is going to be more helpful in supporting my application.?

I will perhaps also be filing an application later for options trading and mentioning their employment status affect it in any way

2. I know some people with TDA margin accounts that admitted they were retired, so it’s not an auto-reject.

murray t turtle and rvsw like this.
  3. Shouldn't be a problem. Having assets more important than income.

I've NEVER been "employed"... that is, receiving a W2 from an employer and have had no problem with establishing accounts with brokers.

rvsw likes this.
  4. rvsw

rvsw

thank you for the inputs.I will indicate retired then

5. Or "trader" or "investor."

rvsw likes this.
  6. rvsw

rvsw

There are no options that indicate trader/investor. It is the status of employment or retired or student