Will IB offer Forex?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by josecruset, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Recently, I heard that IB will offer Forex-trading starting this summer.
    Anyone knows something about this? (would be great, I think: Everything in one account!)
    Cheers :)

2. Sashe

Sashe

I find it much better to trade FX futures already available at IB, spread is 1-2pips and executions are great. Also, margin is $1250 for $125000 worth for instance. I.e 1:100.

3. I also heard some rumours. Makes sense they will. TradeStation offers 3pips spread on major pairs and 1:100 leverage.. hopefully IB will offer at least similar conditions. Can't really ask them for 2 pips spreads I reckon..

4. Thanks for the info.
    Is the volume and the bid/ask spread comparable, too? Especially, if you look at AUD, CAD, etc.?
    Thanks

5. Do you trade through the CME/Globex?

Could you give an example of an FX futures trade with the symbols used?

I looked over the IB site, but I am confused about how/where to find the appropriate symbols.

Do you have a regular IB futures account? Or do you have to have a special type of account?

Thanks for the help, I have never ventured into the currency markets. But it seems that a lot of folks are giving them a try.

Can't be sure how successful thay all are.

:cool:

6. Sashe

Sashe

I have a universal acct with IB which includes stocks, options, futures. To trade currency futures you need a regular futures account (like one you use to trade ES). To get a quote on Eurofutures for example -type EUR in your TWS. Choose Futues and then Mar 2004, then choose Globex. Margin is $1249 for 1 contract. $12.50 is the tick size. If you have any other question I will gladly assist.

7. Wow. So with a 50k account you could have leverage of
    5 Million? I will be rich in no time at all...

Look out Bill Gates!... :D

8. Could you tell us some experience about trading these futures? Especially, I'd be interested in the liquidity and the slippage, etc.
    Thanks a lot!

9. and tight spreads .... 1-3 ticks usually

in EUR contract

it is useful to keep in mind the spot / futures spread

by the way .

10. So, you also think that it is not necessary to trade Forex?
    (I don't know, just asking)

#10     Jan 23, 2004