Will I be assigned?

Discussion in 'Options' started by shazam75, Mar 20, 2009.

1. spindr0

spindr0

That's true for anyone with the cash to margin the position. However, the OP indicated that he didn't have the 33 grand to margin the position... perhaps not realizing that margin is 50%. So for him, it may or may not be a margin issue and a possible margin violation.

I don't like surprises and this could be one of them.

:)

#41     Mar 21, 2009
  2. rluser

rluser

If approval is required it can be requested and approved via a checkbox in TWS configuration. As a recent account opener, I am certain I made no other specific request for such approval.

#42     Mar 22, 2009
  3. shazam75

shazam75

What a RELIEF! Just checked my account in IB and I have NOT been assigned!! :)

Thanks all for your kind advice and will not make this stupid error in the future.

Cheers!

#43     Mar 22, 2009
  4. spindr0

spindr0

Congrats on learning an inexpensive lesson. Well actually, cost free!

If you are in this position in the future (having a naked position that you want to close), early on expiration day, place an order to close with a ridiculously low offer (asuming that the underlying isn't moving against you). Sometimes you get lucky and it hits during the day's gyrations. As the afternoon progresses, raise your offer to something less ridiculous. In the last hour, get real and start splitting the B/A. In the last 5 minutes, prepare to execute at the ask.

#44     Mar 22, 2009
  5. Congrats from me also.

I find it hard to believe a call 17 cents ITM was not exercised by everyone.

It's a good thing this happened to you. Valuable less at no cost.

Mark

#45     Mar 22, 2009
  6. spindr0

spindr0

Shazam,

One other thing...

Watch GOOG in the morning to see what life could have been on the other side of your expiration :)

FWIW, if it's not something that I trade regularly, when the trade is closed I delete the symbol and don't look back. There's nothing to be gained from woulda, coulda, shoulda. Focus should be on existing positions as well as finding the next trade.

#46     Mar 22, 2009
  7. johnnyc

johnnyc

no kidding, guess the buyer didn't have the $ to pay for the stock either

#47     Mar 23, 2009
  8. shazam75

shazam75

Hi

Actually i usually don't look at what would have happen - lucky i got away from this trade - so to me there is no point to look to see what would have happen - I just think it will open higher tomorrow and I was willing to bear the loss.

Cheers!

#48     Mar 23, 2009
  9. Maybe not ............I would check your account first thing on Monday to be sure you have not been assigned.

--

#49     Mar 23, 2009
  10. Yeah and go a step further and call CS/option desk to confirm the other side abandoned them, it's very unusual.

Although it's not the norm I've had assignments pop up as late as 10:30am the following Monday (usually on commodities).

#50     Mar 23, 2009