Will honest comments hurt John Edwards?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Feb 20, 2007.

1. There's no "quote". Period.

It sounds like a summary of alleged remarks. Without context of course. And without a direct "quote."

And yea, I'll take you one further. Not only do I think it's a "misquote" without quotes, I think it's a lie. The "As a chill descended on the gathering, the Edwards event was brought to a polite close" doesn't sound true to me. Most liberal, Jewish, Hollywood Democrats would agree with Edward's alleged statement. No need for hushed silence and a quick end to the evening.

#21     Feb 20, 2007
  2. Actually:

January 23, 2007

John Edwards: "Israel should be allowed to join NATO."

...in regards to dealing with Iran, whose nuclear ambition "threatens the security of Israel and the entire world."

"Let me be clear: Under no circumstances can Iran be allowed to have nuclear weapons," Edwards said. "For years, the US hasn’t done enough to deal with what I have seen as a threat from Iran. As my country stayed on the sidelines, these problems got worse."

Edwards added, "Iran must know that the world won’t back down...To ensure that Iran never gets nuclear weapons, we need to keep ALL options on the table, Let me reiterate – ALL options must remain on the table."

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2007/Edwards_Iran_must_know_world_wont_0123.html

See Z10, Edwards is one of the good guys, it's wishful thinking on your part to think that he shares your anti-Israel views.

#22     Feb 20, 2007
  3. I have never said Edwards is a bad guy, and I happen to think an attack by Israel on Iran would be the worst thing that could happen at this time.

I think the comments are spot on.

Read them again:

Perhaps the greatest short-term threat to world peace, Edwards remarked, was the possibility that Israel would bomb Iran's nuclear facilities.

I think this is quite a rational comment, and though many see this type of attack as beneficial, the type of powder keg it could set off is enormous.

For Israel to act unilaterally and bomb Iran would be much worse than if Bush decided to do it. Much worse.

Once again, you blind fanaticism keeps you thinking I am anti-Israel, while I am not. The same type of backward thinking that called those Americans who opposed Bush's war in Iraq as "anti-American."

Try for once to stop with the knee jerk reactions and look objectively...

#23     Feb 20, 2007
  4. So you are calling Bart a liar.

Okay.

He may be, hard to believe there is not a recording of the Q&A to confirm one way or the other...

I suspect if Edwards and his camp object, we will see some denials soon.

Do you really think most Hollywood democrats would stand up and say that Israel's bombing of Iran would be the single greatest short-term threat to world peace?

I sincerely doubt it. It is hard to find many in Hollywood who would say that...maybe Mel Gibson or Vanessa Redgrave, but not the establishment of Hollywood...nor those who depend on the establishment for their livelihoods...

Anyway, don't you know? According the comments of Rush, Hannity, Coulter, Savage et. al, the "liberals" are the greatest single short term (if not long term) threat to world peace...

#24     Feb 20, 2007
  5. Here's the denial, lol.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6116471

#25     Feb 21, 2007
  6. I notice that in the denial, they did not actually "quote" Edwards.

LOL!

Oh well, we can wait to see if there is an actual recording yet to come...

#26     Feb 21, 2007
  7. Edwards denies remarks on Israel

"According to the Associated Press, Edwards denies the statement. His spokesman, Jonathan Prince called the Variety.com story "erroneous" and was quick to correct it.

"Senator Edwards did not say nor does he believe that the greatest short-term threat to world peace is the possibility that Israel would bomb Iran's nuclear facilities. Senator Edwards said, as he has in the past, that Iran acquiring a nuclear weapon is one of the greatest short-term threats to world peace," Prince explained."

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3369190,00.html

Z10, apology will be accepted if offered, :D the least you can do is acknowledge that you were wrong...dead wrong. :D :D :D

#27     Feb 25, 2007
  8. I posted a story that was widely circulated.

That doesn't make me wrong. That would make the story wrong.

Doh!

You really need to work on your reasoning skills...

Oh, and we really didn't get a quoted denial from Edwards, but a quote from a representative. We all know representatives would never tell a lie...

LOL!

So, we have a story and a denial.

I continue to find it surprising that we don't have an audio tape or video tape of the Q&A event in question...

Interesting to see who is actually publishing the story...

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q...gle+Search&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=gn

By the way, Bart is not backing off his comments in Variety:

http://americaabroad.tpmcafe.com/bl...raeli_attack_on_iran_is_threat_to_world_peace

#28     Feb 25, 2007
  9. And you wanted to believe the story so desperately, you defended the authors of the articles so emotionally, you even called the thread "John Edwards' honest comments". You completely refused to entertain any other interpretation of the story - like that Edwards was misquoted or that even if that was literally what he said it was a poor choice of words and he did not mean that Israel was a threat to world peace.

Face it, be honest to yourself, you desperately wanted to believe that Edwards meant it because that's exactly what you believe in, you did your best to convince the readers that Edwards said and meant that Israel was a threat to the world peace...and I said he did not mean it...and you were wrong.

You do? LOL. Could it be because Edwards never said it?

Who cares about Bart, what fucking difference does it make? Edwards representative said that Edwards does not think Israel is the biggest threat to world peace, Edwards believes Iran is. End of story!!!

#29     Feb 25, 2007
  10. And you wanted to believe the story so desperately, you defended the authors of the articles so emotionally, you even called the thread "John Edwards' honest comments". You completely refused to entertain any other interpretation of the story - like that Edwards was misquoted or that even if that was literally what he said it was a poor choice of words and he did not mean that Israel was a threat to world peace.

So you are practicing your mind reading again I see...

Shame you can't just stick to facts.

Face it, be honest to yourself, you desperately wanted to believe that Edwards meant it because that's exactly what you believe in, you did your best to convince the readers that Edwards said and meant that Israel was a threat to the world peace...and I said he did not mean it...and you were wrong.

Face it, you live in some imaginary world where you think you know what other people are thinking...

You do? LOL. Could it be because Edwards never said it?

It could be.

Who cares about Bart, what fucking difference does it make? Edwards representative said that Edwards does not think Israel is the biggest threat to world peace, Edwards believes Iran is. End of story!!!

So representatives of politicians always tell the truth...the whole truth, and nothing but the truth...

#30     Feb 26, 2007