Will GM BK Unleash CDS Tsunami?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Cdntrader, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Now that is FUNNY.

#21     Dec 10, 2008
  2. richrf

richrf

Glad to bring a smile to your face. Enjoy your day. :)

#22     Dec 10, 2008
  3. CNN reports Vote on hold!

nasty

#23     Dec 10, 2008
  4. Pelosi Says House Won't Return If Senate Kills Auto Bill

#24     Dec 11, 2008
  5. What's wild is that nobody knows WHO is on the hook for those CDS's, and IF they can afford to make good on them.

So frigging dangerous... I bet AIG wrote some of it.

#25     Dec 11, 2008
  6. m22au

m22au

And if AIG takes another multi-billion dollar loss, we can always ask the US Government to re-write the bailout again, how about a $500 billion loan at 1% for AIG .... maybe that might be enough?

#26     Dec 11, 2008
  7. I read that AIG got another $10 billioon yesterday. It seems like its a "black hole of Calcutta".

#27     Dec 11, 2008
  8. dhpar

dhpar

outright BK no problems for CDS market - it will handle it as always and surprise all the nay-sayers who has no clue how the market works (99% people here).
    it will be painful exercise for Ops as US Autos are one of the most usual reference entities.

separately, CDS on GM/GMAC trade mostly NR, i.e. the issue above does not apply. that said some older contracts may be on MR which, if the institution does not hedge the basis risk right, could spell a bit of problems. i would hope that everybody was on top of that in the past year...

#28     Dec 11, 2008
  9. Daal

Daal

A guy on CNBC today was saying that a 'substantial' change in control at GM would constitute a default on the CDS market. gm debt is trading distressed so settlement could be big.
    He also said if GMAC goes under(if the bondholders favor liquidation) then the government should forget the bailout because GM would go bankrupt immediatly
    Scary stuff.

#29     Dec 11, 2008
  10. dhpar

dhpar

substantial change in control does NOT constitute a Credit Event.

however, and that would be a funny one, if Treasury takes over the majority of debt (i think it is defined as 75%) then the sole successor become Treasury and CDS reference entity changes from GM/GMAC to UST - that would be a hell of a fun for many hedge funds.

of course this is not in the cards but that would be truly funny...

#30     Dec 11, 2008