Will Bush Close The Market Friday?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by DrAtomic, Nov 20, 2008.

1. GTS

GTS

Why would he request another $700B when he has already stated he isn't going to spend the remaining $350B from the first $700B?

Other than that little fact, great idea ST3!

#21     Nov 20, 2008
  2. Well thats close enough I guess, now all you have to do is leave as you promised you would...I doubt very much whether you actually own anything, becuase who would not have sold when they were down 30% then 40%, then 50%, then 60%, etc...noone can be that stupid and claim to "know how stock and the markets and the economy works" Obviously you dont know any of the 3. Be a good boy and say adios to elite. Have a nice life.

#22     Nov 20, 2008
  3. Maybe he isn't going to spend it because he is waiting see if he will be replaced in an Obama administration?

#23     Nov 20, 2008
  4. cstfx

cstfx

не шанс в аде

#24     Nov 20, 2008

5. Correction.

He can't spend the other 350 Billion in " f'up bonues" for wallst. because democrats in congress will not release the monies to Bush.

After all, it is apparent by now to everyone that absolutely NO ONE in the f'up Bush administration has a clue as to what is really going on.

#25     Nov 20, 2008
  6. Long term s&p a huge and vulgar double top

Looks like Jane Mansfield lying down.

If you don't know who Jane Mansfield was, you're a limp wristed young punk.

#26     Nov 20, 2008
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

I'm surprised by a comment like that.

Do you really think it will take all of two weeks?

:)

#27     Nov 20, 2008
  8. The ONLY situation I can think of where TEMPORARILY suspending trading wouldn't ultimately just make things worse is if there were a sudden, absolutely unexpected crash in prices across the board (a-la 9/11) that, if allowed to continue without at least an hour or two pause, would cause lots of people who had no reason to think they were at serious risk of a margin call to suddenly face forced liquidation... and whomever called for the brief suspension had reason to believe that giving those people an hour or two would make a genuine difference in the number of shares that ultimately got dumped automatically (by literally giving them time to run to the bank and do a wire transfer).

I believe that that specific scenario has, in fact, been taken into account by NYSE and NASDAQ, and they DO have the means of keeping tabs on how many margin call liquidations are about to be unleashed if prices continue falling. I think it's an automatic "circuit-breaker"-like process built into the trading systems themselves. I'm not sure, but I think it was actually enacted after a follow-up investigation to 9/11 revealed that Al-Qaeda had thought of that precise scenario as a way to destroy our economy (by triggering a massive forced sell-off that automatically cascaded into wholesale liquidation).

Aside from the metaphorical "circuit breaker", the ONLY good reason to suspend trading would be if something happened that effectively rendered Wall Street incommunicado with investors for a significant period of time (or lower Manhattan ITSELF were in imminent danger or profoundly disrupted). Suspending trading "just because prices might fall a lot" would probably just make things a thousand times worse when trading resumed, because THEN people would be COMPLETELY panicked.

(edit: Googling a bit, it appears the metaphorical "circuit breaker" is far more blunt, and just triggers over a percentage drop. It looks like the margin-monitor concept was brought up by the 9/11 Commission, but never went any further).

#28     Nov 20, 2008
  9. bpcnabe

bpcnabe

:D

#29     Nov 21, 2008