Will bullets ever come back

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by manuptrader, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Yes but its less than half the cost of erco. As long as you dont have a problem churning too much, Holds product is great. If you have a tendency to not be able to control yourself and you use them too much, the costs will add up.

#11     Feb 1, 2006
  2. Remember Reg SHO and all the members couldnt wait to rake in all that money.

LOL. :p :D :(

#12     Feb 1, 2006
  3. There are guys in my group who make excellent money trading the SHO stocks, they actually prefer them now. It took a little adjustment but, once they figured out how to trade them, they actually think they are easier than the others.

#13     Feb 1, 2006
  4. gimp570

gimp570

where can i find a list of sho stocks?

#14     Feb 1, 2006
  5. Do you mean short stock, long call? That is a synthetic put.
    What is the function of a bullet?

#15     Feb 1, 2006
  6. That's good.

#16     Feb 1, 2006
  7. patch227

patch227

Agree on erco

#17     Feb 1, 2006

8. What does this have to do with bullets?

#18     Feb 1, 2006
  9. riskaverse305

riskaverse305 Guest

A bullet is the purchase of shares of stock with the purchase of an equal number of puts. Bullets were used (before the SEC did away with them) to short sell on a downtick. Since you actually "owned" the shares you could sell the stock whenever you wanted, even on a downtick. This would establish a net short position that you could trade in and out of. At the end of the day the put is exercised, covering the initial purchase. At least that's how I was told it worked. I didn't particularly care at the time, but I was new and stupid.

These days you can short to alot of ecn's (isld, arca) even on a down tick, so it doesn't really matter, just now I don't have to pay for bullets. The benefits of Reg SHO, however, seem to be balanced by its downsides. On the one hand, you can short as much fucking stock as you want. I find myself shorting far too much sometimes, because with non SHO stocks I live by the strategy of shorting when I can get it. This would be all fine and good, but the mm's play games with SHO stocks, reserve orders on both sides. It might move in the direction you thought it would, but you'll be chopped to death in the meantime.

#19     Feb 1, 2006
  10. How could anyone prevent you from purchasing puts and then purchasing stock?

#20     Feb 2, 2006