Will an Oxford Graduate Degree in Pure Math get you interviews for salaried trading?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by FreedomPhighter, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Looks like you don't have thick skin there macal425.....if it makes you feel any better "Please Please Please answer the poll.....do I have to beg?"

LOL

#11     Jun 2, 2003
  2. You are now a senior member dude... show some respect to the moderators...

#12     Jun 2, 2003
  3. Thanks for the reply. I suppose I have some issues that need to be dealt with. First of all, I am very proud of my educational accomplishments. Such pride must be a function of my family background. Neither of my parents graduated from high school until about five years ago when my mother completed an associates degree and her GED. My father has been a food vendor for nearly 30 years (you know those hotdog wagons you see in NYC?) Above material objects of possession, I value intellectual curiosity because I have found that through education, I am able to stand on equal grounding with my peers most of whom have had a much less modest upbringing. It gives me a great sense of accomplishment when I consider the fact that even people from wealthy families who attended expensive private schools aren't usually provided with the opportunity to study at Oxford ( a.k.a the college of the Queen); when people bash me I assume, perhaps unjustifiably, that it is out of envy and that the people who do such bashing are probably the rich kids who DIDN'T get into Oxford (in other words, whose place I took upon acceptance). Nonetheless, you can see that something pissed people off about my post. You say it was the fact that I posted to many forums; I believed, perhaps erroneously, that it was out of envy. Still, with the many negative responses I am getting from people, I am not completely sure that envy is not the determining factor.

Like I have said in my other post, my primary reason for joining elitetrader.com was to get some answers to my question. Therefore, as you have already pointed out, I only included information in my profile that would pertain to my question. I have many interests not related to my educational or career aspirations. However, I am generally the type of person who filters all unnecessary information as I work toward a specific goal. Thus, as I study toward my MsC I will have only one thing on my mind: Successfully completing the degree requirements. When I trade, I will have only one thing on my mind: successfully trading the market. To be successful at anything worthwhile, one must be willing to give up a substantial part of one's life, essentially sacrificing everything for the purposes of achieving the goal. Perhaps it is this determination, combined with a bit of god given genius, that has always set me apart from my peers (I am humble in that I attribute my genius to GOD....if i claimed otherwise, then I'd be arrogant....note the distinction). Always lacking of material possessions, I strove for idealistic intellectual pursuits my entire life. It is only recently that I have decided that I want to become a millionaire. With my determination and analytical prowess, I don't believe anything can stand in my way (except for GOD, of course).

Perhaps you now have a better understanding of why I take so much pride in my educational accomplishments. I have no reason to be arrogant but many reasons to be humble. As I have always held, I really have no choice BUT to be humble despite apparant appearances to the contrary. Just a poor boy here whose determination and genius got him into Oxford (well it certainly wasn't my rich daddy right?)

Thanks again for the reply! I do appreciate your lengthy response.

Obeisantly,

#13     Jun 2, 2003
  4. that explains a lot. just don't wear your education on your sleeve like a thug in the ghetto wears a heap of gold chains (or a rich brat caught up in the culture of status). that's not what knowledge is about, which it's evident that you understand.

congratulations on your accomplishments so far. that is the american dream. the self made stories are the best kind IMHO.

#14     Jun 2, 2003
  5. Thanks for the congrats. Do i sense that someone on here is actually happy for me? Finally...

LOL

#15     Jun 2, 2003
  6. maxpi

maxpi

Imperative mode of communication? Try that on the markets. I can just see it: "give me the money".

Max

#16     Jun 2, 2003
  7. Hehe... an interesting personality when trading, no doubt... :D

#17     Jun 2, 2003
  8. prox

prox

Finally?

#18     Jun 2, 2003
  9. Interesting.

Not everyone makes it their goals.

He should shoot for making money instead of an intermediate goal.

I remember a student of mine waking me up at minight plus. She had just become 21 and inherited her first trust of 8 million. Her buddy was with her.

So neat. They were so impetuous because she was going to a Danbury parachuting school against her parent's wishes. Her dad was chairman of the NYYC handicapping committee.

All we talked about was why it was important to train first at Danbury which was the best among many schools. They wanted to jump in spectacular places and be acrobatic glider pilots.

I just can't imagine a guy from oxford just looking at a million bucks. If you go to the best learning school at least you could talk about is making some money in the future.

#19     Jun 2, 2003
  10. klutz

klutz

Its ironic that you choose humility as the subject of your signature.

Try getting out a bit more, mixing with new people who dont have the misfortune to know how great you are [ for god's sake dont tell 'em] and who knows, if you can stop focusing on yourself for a while you might achieve more than just academic success at Oxford.

Good luck................you'll need it

#20     Jun 2, 2003