Wifes should work. No room for housewives in this economy anymore!

Discussion in 'Economics' started by latinotrader, Nov 12, 2010.

1. MKTrader

MKTrader

You've reached this conclusion based on what? I earnestly await a flawlessly researched and documented study...

It might be interesting to have every non-working spouse attempt to enter the labor force at once for a joke, though. Then we could see how much the BLS would manipulate and massage the employment data. I'm quite sure the unemployment rate would magically remain below 10% no matter how many flooded the job market. They'd come up with all kinds of new categories and adjustments in the fine print.

#11     Nov 12, 2010
  2. Is there evidence women have added anything to the economy other than massively increasing the size of the workforce and putting downward pressure on wages?

If you think about it, pretty much every material thing we have and every feature of our economic standard of living would be the same with only men in the workforce.

I have a hypothesis that a big reason for the welfare/regulatory state is that it was needed in order to create the mc(fake)work jobs that most women do when they flooded the workplace.

If more women were taking care of their families and doing traditional women's work we could eliminate most of the federal government and the regulatory state.

#12     Nov 12, 2010
  3. The study is only in my head.

But the logic is extremely simple:
    Even if the wife can only get a $30k per year job those $30k are a big help to struggling families. Most families are struggling by the way.

#13     Nov 12, 2010
  4. What make u think that she can get 30k? McJobs typically pays minimum wage.

Now your family has to pay for daycare. Who picks the kids after school when both parents are at work? Who takes days off when the kids are too sick to go to school?

#14     Nov 13, 2010
  5. itsame

itsame

I still don't think the wife has to work. My mom was a stay at home mom back in the day and if I got married, my wife could stay at home now. There are some differences that we would have to do compared to "normal" couples.

just a few

1. we would both need to be on the cheapest prepaid cellphone. no internet and iPhones for us
    2. monthly rent/mortgage would have to be 20-25% of our income. No extra rooms for us (man cave, study room, etc..)
    3. No car payments or minimal payments. No brand new cars for us
    4. One tv in the living room. No multiple tvs with multiple cable boxes or DVRs.($15 where I live)

#15     Nov 13, 2010