Widescreen or not?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kastro_316, May 5, 2006.

1. http://www.bizrate.com/computermonitors/pid413960887/compareprices.html

I have a 17" and a new Dell 19" so this 19" widescreen would be my main monitor.

For people who have 3 monitors, what do you keep on them? For my main LCD I am going to have the execution platform, while the other 2 will be simply charting.

Thanks everyone!
    -Kastro

#11     May 5, 2006
  2. Well, I am willing to fork over $2K for the monitors. My machine can already handle the dual-link vid card requirements...

#12     May 5, 2006
  3. Schaefer

Schaefer

I suggest you get another Dell 19" to match your existing 19", so at least you'd have two matching monitors plus you'd get more pixel space than a 19" widescreen. When you're scanning 3 different monitors, you'd want the screen transition from one monitor to another as seamlessly as possible.

When you have 3 different monitors with different resolutions and aspect ratios, your eyes would all be all over the place and I don't think they'd like that :D Just try it with the mouse, move the mouse horizontally across 3 different monitors of different resolutions and aspect ratios, you'll soon see what I mean.

Happy trading :)

#13     May 5, 2006
  4. CTTrader

CTTrader

I was all set to go large widescreen too. Then I talked to the XView rep at the NYC Trader's Expo. They said it is a question of amount of real estate vs. price. I'm not a techie, but what they said was that once you get over 23" you can not fit as much information on the screen due to resolution differences.

Then when you look at price, you can get two 20" monitors for the price of one 24". When price is no object, I'm going for the Digital Tigers Command Center with six 24" monitors for about $8,000.

#14     May 5, 2006
  5. I was checking out the 19" widescreen LCDs, recently. You should definitely go look at one first. I thought it was going to be great until I saw one. A 19" widescreen still has a 19" viewable diagonal. That means a normal 19" is much taller. I thought it was going to be like a normal 19", but just be wider. It's just stretched out. In doing so, the height of the screen gets shorter.

I thought I was going to be able to get away with two widescreen 19" monitors instead of three normal 19" monitors, but that is not the case. I'm just going to stick with my two 20" CRTs for now.

If you still want a 19" widescreen, buy.com has one for $219.95 with free shipping. It only has an analog connection, though. I'm not a big techie, but I think that is okay if you are just going to be trading on it.

#15     May 5, 2006
  6. If the vertical margin around the LCD were 1/4" (ie. on my 18" there about 1"), I would not have a problem sticking to more screens at smaller sizes as opposed to fewer screens at larger screen sizes. My own reason are personal and I have data windows that I prefer to stretch across the entire length of a 24" or 30". Having sequential price bars spread 2" apart due to the LCD margins for some reason is problematic for me. I thought I would just get used to the gap between screens but I couldn't, hence the upgrade to 24" and considerations now for the 30".

#16     May 6, 2006
  7. Thank you for all the input guys!

I guess it's just a matter of what suits you. I would like a widescreen that is as tall as my normal view 19".

Thanks again,
    -Kastro

#17     May 6, 2006
  8. cttrader you got to be nuts to spend 8k with digital tigers. you can buy 8 dell 2405's for about $5600 and 2 quad stands for $600 or so

#18     May 6, 2006
  9. on the 5 monitor setup with the 30 inch in the center using 2 stands what's holding up the middle 30 inch monitor?

#19     May 6, 2006
  10. Chagi

Chagi

I might suggest taking a look at the Viewsonic 2025WM (20" widescreen). The price on them has been rapidly dropping, and I was fairly impressed when I saw one in person at a store a couple of weeks back.

#20     May 6, 2006