Widescreen LCD's vs Regular LCD's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by listedguru, Jan 31, 2006.

1. What are some +'s and -'s to widescreen lcd's for trading? Can you sqeeze a lot more info onto a WS LCD?

For instance the 24" WS LCD that Dell offers. How much more usable space does this provide over a regular 19" LCD?

-Guru

2. 5"

3. gnome

gnome

Calculate a ratio of pixels. Example... a 19" has 1280 horizontal, a 15" has 1024, so a 19 will display 25% more data.

4. Schaefer

Schaefer

Hi, my 24" wide screen replaced my 21" and 19" CRTs and I'm loving it :D

Now I could easily see all the info on one convient monitor rather than spanned across two different monitors. I'd take the two 24" over three 19" anyday, but that's my opinion of course.

But if you compare let's say a regular aspect 19" and a 19" wide screen, it's all a matter of preference as you'd loose some vertical space while gaining more horizontal space on the wide screen versus sacrificing some horizontal space for vertical space on the regular aspect monitor.

It's a lot easier for me to gather info. horizontally than vertically for some reason, so it's working out for me pretty well.

Hope that helped, happy trading :)

5. CTTrader

CTTrader

In comparing widescreen to regular screen you have to look at area. Pixels measures resolution so this number is irrelevant to usable area unless you need reading glasses. On an LCD monitor changing the resolution changes the size and clarity of the characters. Lower the resolution and the images become larger and take up more space but are easier to read for those needing reading glasses.

Unfortunately they don't make it easy to calculate area because the only dimension given is the diagonal length which is the hypotenuse of the triangle. Therefore you have to use trigonometry to calculate total area.

If my calculations are correct the area (rounded off) of the following monitors is:

30" widescreen: 390 square inches
    24" widescreen: 250 square inches
    21" standard: 220 square inches
    19" standard: 180 square inches

I was in the Apple Store and put some charts up on their 23" and 30" widescreens. I could easily fit 6 charts on the 30". 4 charts fit on the 23" but I had to squeeze a little bit.

6. What size wide screen LCD TV would I need to purchase to equal two 19" Samsung 191t's

Michael B.

7. WD40

WD40

anybody got the price-performance calculated?

8. CTTrader

CTTrader

A 24" widescreen would probably replace 2 standard 19" monitors. I currently use 1 standard 19" monitor and a 15" laptop. The way I have my screens set up the 23" monitor in the Apple Store will display more than my current setup. I'm thinking of getting 1 30" widescreen monitor (either Apple or Dell) and possibly adding a 24" later.

There is a lot of personal preference involved. Before dropping a lot of $$$ it is a good idea to go to a store and try different size monitors to make sure it meets your needs.

I'm not making a final decision until after I gather more info at the NYC Traders Expo. To me it seems a large widescreen is the way to go, but all of the ads I see still promote multiple standard screens. Why? I want to answer this before dropping $2,000+ on monitors.

9. Widescreen TV's just do not have the resolution...They are TV's for gawds sakes...You do not view a TV from the same distance that you view a computer monitor from.

EVERYTHING IS BIGGER ON THE SCREEN AND YOU DO NOT NET ANY MORE REAL ESTATE...YOU JUST USE UP A HUGE AMOUNT OF PHYSICAL SPACE...

Traders do not need widescreen TV's is my conclusion...Get yourself a couple of 19" Samsungs...pay for a dual video card...

Michael B.

10. You are right.
    Resolution is determined by the number of pixels across the width of the screen.

#10     Feb 17, 2006