Wide vs regular 19" screens

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shraga18, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Shraga18

Shraga18

Hi everyone,

I had ordered two 19" screens for my new trading computer, but the fellow by mistake got them in widescreen. Now I'm wondering if I should keep them or not. They take up more space on my desk, so that's a minus. But are there any advantages for charting in widescreen, or are regular screens better?

TIA

Shraga

2. gnome

gnome

You more horizonal axis display (good for quote pages and spreadsheets), and a bit less vertical.

My view is that widescreens are quite good for trading setups.

3. Shraga18

Shraga18

Hmm. I get your point about quote pages, but as it happens to be they're mainly for charting, so I'm still not sure.

4. if y r buing today, two 30" 2560x1600 widescreens is a nobrainer..(just $2k each) the more pixels in x/y the better and trust me you fill em both with charts quick, and of course if you can't afford them u shouldnt be trading.. some prefer 3 or more monitors setup, but then u also need a special pc for the job

5. Tums

Tums

not all the OEM graphic cards can drive 2560x1600.

6. gnome

gnome

My primary rig has 4 x 19", 1280x1024 monitors. 3 are for charts, but I've considered replacing 1 with a widescreen... it's the one I have quotes, browser, TV tuner on. Seems to make sense... 1650 horizontal would be welcome.

7. Tums

Tums

if they are 19" wide screen, the resolution is most likely 1440x900=1,296,000 pixels

a regular 19" has 1280x1024=1,310,720 pixels.

if you do charts, I would suggest to go to a higher resolution. It makes a big difference when you have lots of indicators on the screen.
    20"W 1680x1050=1,764,000 pixels (35% more than 19")

8. Shraga18

Shraga18

Thanks for the advice :). I think I'll pass for now! Btw, I'm flattered that your first post on ET is to help me! Did you register just for this thread? ;-)

9. gnome

gnome

LOL! He SELLS 30" monitors... and has he got a DEAL for you... :D