Wi-fi Trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hanseng1, Apr 14, 2004.

1. yeayo

yeayo

The question is, should you trade wi-fi?
    What about securities issues?
    Like someone taking a peek at your million $ account.

#11     Apr 15, 2004
  2. Simba

Simba

Hi Hanseng,

one alternative to WiFi would be to use a cell phone as a modem. This is possible by using a cable ($30) and software ($30), which can be purchased from FutureDial:

http://www.futuredial.com/products/P_SD.htm

The software supports multiple providers ("Sprint PCS, Verizon Wireless, AT&T T Wireless or T-Mobile data-enabled phone with a 2G, 3G or GPRS wireless Internet data plan subscription").

I use Sprint, and clock in at about 230 kbps (not bad, almost as fast as a DSL). With Sprint, you need to subscribe to the "Vision Package", which is $15 per month. The great thing with Sprint is that using your cell phone as a modem does not rack up your minutes -- that means access is unlimited!!!

I don't know if other providers clock your minutes when using your cell phone as a modem.

:)

#12     Apr 15, 2004
  3. rognvald

rognvald

Visit here for mobile from a vehicle via satellite anywhere in the ststes and then hook up a wireless LAN and have it in your chair by the lake at the campsite if thats what u want and can stand the expense and latency

http://www.groundcontrol.com/mobile_001.htm

State of the art describes it I believe

#13     Apr 15, 2004
  4. Simba

Simba

Does anyone know of other service providers that do not rack up your minutes when using your cell phone as a modem???

Thanks.

:)

#14     Apr 15, 2004
  5. rognvald

rognvald

Sprint sounds like good newes if there is no data charge

#15     Apr 15, 2004
  6. Luto

Luto

Wifi has too many issues for Day Trading, but if you just need a connection it is okay. Too many things can go wrong. Connection is just not strong enough for realtime trading.

Don't be too cheap on only primary means of communicating with the markets!

Cheers!

#16     Apr 16, 2004

7. Wireless network not acceptable? Use it every day.....where is the problem?

#17     Apr 16, 2004