Why's silver getting hit so hard?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by LT701, Aug 16, 2007.

1. LT701

LT701

for the last few years, every slv day with that kind of volume has been a puke low - although that is in the context of a silver bull market, which this may or may not be

#21     Aug 16, 2007
  2. LT701

LT701

ending down 4.8% is still pretty bad, considering the other markets ended about flat

#22     Aug 16, 2007
  3. duard

duard

Forced liquidation?

Asset class reshuffling?

Clobbersville.......

#23     Aug 16, 2007
  4. LT701

LT701

what's frustrating, is that silver was down because dollar based assets were being liquidated, then silver went down because the dollar went back up

sooooooo, silver is down if the dollar is down, or if the dollar is up

#24     Aug 16, 2007
  5. maxpi

maxpi

From Oscar's youtube video today [I sure don't know anything about commodities or what people with lots of money do but it's worth a mention here]: When people get margin calls they don't unload their stocks, they unload commodities. Maybe they got margin calls and decided to toss the silver out of the lifeboat before the other stuff?

#25     Aug 16, 2007
  6. what is the benefit to holding silver when everything is cratering, I would rather hold government t-bills at least those are safe and I get paid to wait.

#26     Aug 16, 2007
  7. I was about to post the EXACT same link. The commercials are ALWAYS short silver. If they ever go net long, take your house, mortgage it and buy silver.

#27     Aug 16, 2007
  8. they mentioned this on bloomberg today too and that beans went limit down.

silver vs gold...silver had been kicking gold's ass for so long that maybe its just time for gold to close the gap some more.

#28     Aug 16, 2007
  9. I expected the Commercials to increase there short position this week but amazingly they reversed even more short positions and have not been at these low short levels for years, imo silver is ready to explode.

#29     Sep 1, 2007
  10. Butler's concern is the large concentrated short. There's four "entities" (I say entities because they could be large groups of investors and people who feel the need to hedge) holding most of the short contracts.

Silver is down because it's an industrial good as well as "money" Industry is going to slow, producers short their physical to save their books because less of their physical is being sold.

Teddys claims are pretty interesting, but without unmasking the "four" then we'll never know if there's manipulation or not.

#30     Sep 12, 2007