Why you should not learn to code

Discussion in 'App Development' started by fan27, Jun 7, 2019.

1. I can believe that. Do you think you'll ever go back to trading?

#31     Jun 8, 2019
  2. southall

southall

I never stopped trading, my algos are still running. But full time trading, no i wont go back that voluntarily, not unless my contract is terminated and i cant find anything else. Which could happen when we get the next down turn.

#32     Jun 8, 2019
    nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  3. zdave83

zdave83

Appreciate the suggestion ... will take a look.

#33     Jun 8, 2019
    nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  4. You'll be fine in a downturn if you're contracting. Generally, contractors are the first to go from a busines that needs to reorganize, but also contractors are preferred to full-time hires at the same time when the work needs to be done.

#34     Jun 8, 2019
  5. fan27

fan27

There is something to be said for a fat steady paycheck.

#35     Jun 8, 2019
  6. SteveH

SteveH

Dude in the video thinks he's a know-it-all. He had too much money with too little common sense. He lacks a vital ingredient in his personality to trade well...humility. It's not about being smart. It's about having good powers of observation, relentlessness in what you're doing and admitting quickly when you're most likely wrong.

Coding is fun. It's personally rewarding. I encourage everyone to learn how to program to help them in their trading endeavors.

I've had more enjoyment and more rewards by hand backtesting the charts I trade. It inspires creativity. You'll see things no computer program is going to pick up on. Mark Douglas put it best, paraphrased, "Creativity occurs when you're able to suspend your current belief systems".

Super smart, arrogant tech leads. That's what you should stay away from.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    #36     Jun 8, 2019
  7. He's being VERY sarcastic. I think it's a joke. Or at least I hope it is.

#37     Jun 8, 2019
    fan27 likes this.
  8. d08

d08

Pretty sure that is also sarcastic. Although he goes from sarcasm to seriousness in a second, hard to say when.

#38     Jun 8, 2019
    themickey likes this.
  9. d08

d08

I don't think there has been a specific thread about it. I learned more serious coding only for trading/algo purposes (HTML in the 90s doesn't count). Never worked as a programmer, although it helped automate certain things at work which gave me loads of free time.
    Using Python/Pandas and a crapload of other modules with IB, fairly standard toolset nowadays. I've been getting more serious about data structures lately and trying to think as an architect rather than a script kiddie but I don't necessarily know if it's a wise decision as the time required is immense.

#39     Jun 8, 2019
    zdave83 likes this.
  10. d08

d08

Nonsense. I've made the vast majority of my returns on mean reversion (counter trend). Unless you have some other definition of counter-trend...

#40     Jun 8, 2019
    antiseptic and nooby_mcnoob like this.