Why you should learn to code

Discussion in 'App Development' started by kandlekid, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Peter8519

Peter8519

Since this is an investment/trading forum, so programming is naturally gravitate to this area. First and foremost, one must have a charting software system and this system MUST have support for script programming. For example, the DJI correction in Oct 2018 and bottomed in Dec 2018 and recovered in Feb 2019, and I want to know the recovery performance of those stocks with less severe correction than DJI. Sure enough, 60% of these stocks performed better than the DJI in Feb 2019. I script the system to dump 3 close prices for each stock and use Excel to do filtering. Excel VBA is powerful tool when it comes to scraping for fundamental information. I use perl script to keep track of ticker symbols that met various screening criteria.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    #71     Aug 28, 2019
    zdave83 likes this.
  2. 4xdev0

4xdev0

So, you are going to extract data and use Excel to find the stocks that performed better than the market in general?
    What criteria are you going to use?

Of course, the idea itself is great - the stocks that are still strong despite the severe market correction could offer interesting opportunities. As for me, such dynamic is the first sign that these stocks have thier own catalysts impacting their prices, so their movements are not corellation-based.
    By the way, it would be interesting to divide gainers into two groups:
    - those holding the level (non-directional movement)
    - those with strong uptrend during the general market correction.
    The idea is the second list could contain stocks with opposite corellation or stocks used as protective assets, so their prices are also impacted by the general market (but in a specific way), and only the first group could be included in market-neutral portfolio.

#72     Sep 11, 2019
  3. I have a basic question. Guess you learnt coding and built a trading system. To which equities (Stocks, futures etc.) do you apply your system? Which one to trade? To me it would make sense to trade futures, but stocks? I mostly swing or daytrade stocks. Would it even make sense to start coding?

#73     Dec 28, 2019
  4. IF monetaryValue(current skills) > monetaryValue(coding) {
    hire someone to code for you​
    } else {
    learn to code​
    }

#74     Dec 31, 2019
  5. themickey

themickey

If_you_have_time = 365;
    Sounds = Sum(aboutright,time);

#75     Dec 31, 2019
  6. cafeole

cafeole

You are getting the cart before the horse. To get a strategy, you would need to backtest against certain equities/derivatives. Once you have a successful strategy against these particular entities then trade those entities. I would never trade a strategy against an entity I have not backtested.

#76     Dec 31, 2019
  7. schizo

schizo

One thing that really irritates me of late is that there are too many programmers turned traders, who thinks coding strategies is like writing a software program. Nothing, in my opinion, can eclipse years of knowledge gained from actual trading.

#77     Dec 31, 2019
    narafa likes this.
  8. Coding strategies IS writing a software program. Profitable or not is a different story.

Programmers have a lot of $ to donate to the market. Wall street welcomes them with open arms.
    IE: TechLead from youtube

#78     Dec 31, 2019
  9. Andras

Andras

Well, if you add some coding skills to that knowledge, you can put your ideas in to a robotic working system and make money off it.

#80     Jan 20, 2020