Why you should learn to code

Discussion in 'App Development' started by kandlekid, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Yes, but it's a lot easier when you're young and have the energy for it.
    Basically, you have to spend a lot of time staring at the monitor, often trying to figure out other people's code, unless you're coding everything by yourself.

#51     Jun 22, 2019
  2. cafeole

cafeole

Depends on your definition of junior programmer. My definition of a junior programmer is one with a computer science degree, or equivalent experience, who can get an entry level position in the industry. I still wouldn't hire him to implement my strategies.

Can someone do functional programming, maybe with scripting languages like Python, - sure. But I would not trust that level of skill to do anything complicated.

I am not saying this because I have a computer degree - I do not. I am self taught. I had a mentor who helped me learn object oriented programming using C++ and he hired me trusting in his knowledge of my talent, not my skill. It still took me about 2 years to get competent.

I am not discouraging anyone from going down this road. The OP says he is 30 years old, so it is really doable. I am just providing my background for reference.

#52     Jun 22, 2019
    zdave83 likes this.
  3. kandlekid

kandlekid

Actually, I'm 62, will be 63 next month. My first coding adventure was on a CDC mainframe in Fortran and later Compass assembler. Then on to Pascal, C, and later C++ and some Java and C#.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    #53     Jun 22, 2019
    ironchef likes this.
  4. Do you apply your programming knowledge in your trading? I use C# for all my web scraping data analytical tools. I really like Microsoft's VS Community IDE, and the more recent VS Code IDE. Their new "minimap" code scrolling feature is just delightful.

#54     Jun 23, 2019
  5. cafeole

cafeole

Sorry must have been another thread, maybe the the one on why not to code.

#55     Jun 23, 2019
  6. kandlekid

kandlekid

I've written a ton of strategies in C# for NT, none very profitable afaik. It seems to me that coding is the easy part, finding a profitable strategy is the hard part.

#56     Jun 24, 2019
    ironchef, a_tech_trade and qlai like this.
  7. kandlekid

kandlekid

NP, although sometimes I feel like I'm 30. :)

#57     Jun 24, 2019
  8. zdave83

zdave83

Agreed. Junior-level or beginner coding is pretty straight-forward ... obviously complex software development takes a little more experience :)
    Finding a profitable strategy ... or a set of profitable trading strategies ... that's usable for more than a short period of time ... is like the goose that laid the golden egg :D

#58     Jun 24, 2019
  9. 2rosy

2rosy

it can be programmed. even if the process is all gut feel you can program in randomness

#59     Jun 27, 2019
  10. Andras

Andras

I am inspired. At what age did you start learning?

#60     Jul 8, 2019