Why you never hear US news that the market rallied or plunged on political concerns?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by crgarcia, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Maybe they (the media) just don't want to get sued, even if political events were the true cause for market movements?

Specially true for an election year.

They just cite the old tales of "recession fears" after plunges, and "the worst is over" after rallies.

2. I think rarely there is actually a macro-event that moves price. Most of it is just speculators running it from level to level trying to take each others money and just market mechanics at work. I laugh when the talking heads say "the market reversed this afternoon on concerns about _____" because all I can think to myself is "no dumbass, price was diverging and it bounced off the 78.6 level"... let em paint whatever story they want :)

3. There are the election/presidential cycles which provide historical examples.

4. I agree there is some historical cycle stuff that is proven, but I was under the impression the poster was referring to shorter-timeframe/intraday movements.