Why would anyone post their strategy?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by catmango, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Ditch

Ditch

My first impulse is, that you don't have a working system and that you don't understand the market.

#21     Apr 7, 2003
  2. dgmodel

dgmodel Guest

posting on the forums who knows... but sharing strategies in real life... is for only one reason... OVERRIDE$~!

#22     Apr 7, 2003
  3. Do you think randyhorse really makes $10,000 a day? :confused:

#23     Apr 7, 2003
  4. dgmodel

dgmodel Guest

i knew/know a few traders who make that in a day... so its not a unrealistic number... however who the hell randyhorse is and what his P&L is i do not care...

#24     Apr 7, 2003
  5. Have you found a new broker now? Are you at a prop firm, or trading from home?

#25     Apr 7, 2003
  6. dgmodel

dgmodel Guest

long story short... i am still with the same place, offices have been closed, i am in the HQ main office... havent had time to act on anything or really look at new places however i have considered andover, and fnys. one of those will definately be my new home soon...

#26     Apr 7, 2003
  7. You're loyal, if nothing else!

#27     Apr 7, 2003
  8. dgmodel

dgmodel Guest

lol... i was thinking a different term...

#28     Apr 7, 2003
  9. Maybe in most cases either ego or cynicism tend to overweigh any desire for a quick buck (particularly for more experienced traders). If someone were to post a successful mechanical system, the egotistical traders will discount it because they feel that their respective methodologies are better, and the cynical traders will discount it based on the results of this poll.

Plus, so many people post ideas on forums such as these (oftentimes with only anectodal evidence and no true hardcore backtesting), that it just becomes noise. Very rarely do I see someone post a detailed methodology along with any statistical backtesting results (including slippage, transaction costs, etc.) that truly back it up.

However, if a trader were to say "I found a system that yielded a 75% success rate and averaged 3%/day net of slippage and txn costs over the last three years. Attached are the detailed steps and my historical results" I'll bet a ton of people would be all over it like flies on sh*t!

#29     Apr 7, 2003
  10. prox

prox

If they value the years of work, money lost, mental and physical stress that it took to develop a working system.. they wouldn't post it for free to a board of bickering fools.

#30     Apr 7, 2003