Why would anyone choose IG over IB?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Maverick2608, Mar 22, 2023.

1. https://www.ig.com/ie

I assume IG has a thriving business.

My question is: How can IG have a thriving business when they offer an inferior product compared to Interactive Brokers on almost all parameters?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  2. maxinger

maxinger

I started with IG.
    Then I migrated to IB.

IG has to keep on looking for new clients.
    IG advertise quite often.
    IG platform is simple and nice.

IB - you need to spend time comprehending their complex English and
    complex platform.
    IB offers a wide range of products from exchanges like CME, ICE ....

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  3. alistera

alistera

Inferior product, incorrect, IB and IG have different purposes but you need to know the difference between things like investing and speculating and trading, or short and medium and long duration positions, or probability and return expectation, to be able to understand which one suits which purpose, I know simply by a few snippets of information, you will have to go through a multi month to year learning curve, sometimes you need both types, actually three types but you haven't got that far yet, which is what we did when I was managing a 50% per quarter family office.

4. This is going to be entertaining.

Can you nice and neatly list 5 things that make IG the superior choice over Interactive Brokers?

No, nothing bla bla multi year learning curve, 50% per quarter crap. Just five concrete advantages of IG over IB?

5. alistera

alistera

Why would I waste my time doing that, IB (better for investing) and IG (better for trading) but not always, they have different purposes for different people, when you use them in combination magical things can happen, but you need to do things at a much higher level than anyone on here which is where 50% per quarter comes in.

Given how angry you are obviously you lost a lot of money on IG and are also presuming IB will save you from the same mistakes again, read about 5stages of grief as it will help you on your trading and investing journey.

For everyone else who isn't as angry from their own mistakes, if you are looking for a single broker then IB is as good a choice as any but it's best you already know what you are doing with a calmer approach to life and the markets.

6. I am happy for your input. You help underscore my point.

Should we try once again Mr. 50% per quarter.

Nice and easy. Let's go down from 5 to just 3 advantages of IG over IB. No bla bla. Just to the point.

IG is better than IB for trading, because...

7. I moved from IG to IB as well. First I opened an account with them because I was living in the UK, so the spread betting market was interesting, specially because of the tax benefits that provides to UK citizens. Their API is actually pretty good, way better than the horrible piece of rubbish that IB provides. The web interface is miles away from the abomination that is IB-TWS.

When I moved out to another country I wasn't able to trade the spread betting markets so it became useless for me. There is no point to use their CFDs or Share dealing options. Shares commissions are really expensive compared to brokers like DeGiro, for example. CFDs are available with IB as well, so they really stand out with their Spread Betting accounts.

8. traider

traider

Some stuff you can short using CFDS with IG but IB has no borrow

9. traider

traider

Interactive Brokers and IG Markets are both online brokers that provide access to trading in various financial markets, including stocks, options, futures, forex, and more. However, there are some differences between the two platforms that may be important to consider when choosing between them.

One key difference between Interactive Brokers and IG Markets is their pricing structure. Interactive Brokers is known for its low commissions, with fees as low as $0.005 per share for stock trades in the US. On the other hand, IG Markets typically charges a higher commission or spread, but offers access to a wider range of markets and instruments, including CFDs and spread betting.

Another difference is the trading platforms offered by each broker. Interactive Brokers offers a comprehensive trading platform with advanced features such as algorithmic trading and customizable charts. IG Markets also offers a range of trading platforms, including its own proprietary platform, as well as the popular MetaTrader 4 and ProRealTime platforms.

Additionally, Interactive Brokers requires a minimum deposit of $1,000 to open an account, while IG Markets has a lower minimum deposit requirement of $250.

Ultimately, the choice between Interactive Brokers and IG Markets will depend on your specific trading needs and preferences. If you prioritize low commissions and a comprehensive trading platform, Interactive Brokers may be the better option.

10. ChatGBT?

"On the other hand, IG Markets typically charges a higher commission or spread, but offers access to a wider range of markets and instruments, including CFDs and spread betting."

Seems to suggest IB does not offer CFDs. It does.

#10     Mar 22, 2023
    Nobert likes this.