Why would any business in Illinois not consider relocating to Texas

Discussion in 'Economics' started by bond_trad3r, Jun 26, 2011.

1. I am aware of the fate of one manufacturing company that moved from Queens NY to Texas and its not a happy story. Huge issues with staff turnover and available skills leading to unfilled orders and loss of business. Might suit some industries but not all.

#11     Jun 27, 2011
  2. texas of course is subject to boom n bust due to natural resource prices. Lots of corps would move to low tax indiana but death taxes in indiana are high where as in illinois it starts at 2 mil for a couple it is 5 mil, hence illinois has more millionaires than indiana.

#12     Jun 27, 2011
  3. Only hire people without kids????

That makes economic sense but isn't that illegal?

Where did you hear this from? Any links?

#13     Jun 27, 2011
  4. Companies are leaving California for the same reasons they're leaving Illinois. Some are moving to Texas, but many see their future in states like Colorado and Utah.

A friend of mine just moved his small (35 employee) business from California to Utah. He says it's working out great because the government officials in Utah (city and state) actually "want" his business. In California, he said, government employees and politicians always "acted like they were doing me a favor" to let him be in business. Lower taxes, rent, utilities, insurance and regulatory/legal costs in Utah have decreased his operating overhead by about 15%.

http://thebusinessrelocationcoach.blogspot.com/

#14     Jun 27, 2011
  5. WS_MJH

WS_MJH

Utah is a great, great state. It has a good business climate because it's probably the most Republican state in the country. I would consider living there, but I think it's hard to live there if you're not a Mormon.

I don't get the TX bashing unless you are an overly partisan liberal. I'm a Republican and I can say that Seattle is one of the most impressive cities in the US. Houston and Dallas are very good as well. TX has the best economy in the US and even liberal Newsweek has said that TX has the best public schools in the country. It's hot, yes, but most of the country has its own weather/natural disaster problems.

#15     Jun 27, 2011
  6. Michigan is a better option for companies in Illinois looking to move.

#16     Jun 27, 2011
  7. #17     Jun 27, 2011
  8. My friend (re my previous post) that moved his business to Utah describes himself as an "ambiguous Christian" and his business partner is Jewish. They spent quite a bit of time in Utah before moving their business there and spoke to a lot of people regarding living in what is largely a Mormon state. My friend says things are a lot different now than they were 20 years ago. More non-Mormons have moved into the state, and the Mormons that live there are much more accepting of outsiders because so many of them have worked outside the state or have family members in other parts of the country. There's still a Mormon bias, but it's effect is minimal and doesn't negatively impact either his personal or business life. His Jewish business partner has kids in school there and they feel a little out of place from time to time, but he said that the teachers and school principal have made an extra effort to make them feel welcome. Overall, it's been a good experience.

#18     Jun 27, 2011
  9. EPrado

EPrado

You make good points...but need to address the EMR part. That is the dealbreaker. Maybe you could trade him to Long island for a dozen loud whiney complaining housewives. Seems like a fair trade.

#19     Jun 27, 2011
  10. Might the city of Chicago have something to do with which states has more millionaires?

#20     Jun 27, 2011