Why would a Governor care about a state trooper

Discussion in 'Politics' started by WaveStrider, Sep 19, 2008.

1. You truly have an IQ in the double digits....

#51     Sep 20, 2008
  2. You don't even know what double digit means.

#52     Sep 20, 2008
  3. Nice grab. I hadn't seen these most disturbing allegations.

#53     Sep 20, 2008
  4. ak15

ak15

You're right. However, it is a bit more complicated. In this instance, the person doing the shooting has her own ulterior motive for doing so. Therefore to quote you "Just because someone deserves to be shot doesn't mean that everyone has the right to shoot him" compounded by the fact that the person1 doing the shooting is doing so not because the person2 deserves to be shot but because she was settling her own personal vendetta in the ensuing process.

#54     Sep 20, 2008
  5. Why is it a nice grab? The guy is almost certainly a dirtbag, however that doesn't make Palin's actions, to fire someone else to get to him, legal or ethical.

And her defense that he took an unauthorized trip has turned out to be false.

Here's the document authorizing the trip:

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Blotter/TA.pdf

Looks like she made another mistake. Also, it looks like she'd better stop saying anything about it and go back to stonewalling.

#55     Sep 20, 2008
  6. Re read the story. This isn't more Trooper Wooten stuff. This is wife beating allegations against Monegan.

#56     Sep 20, 2008
  7. I think a good question might we whether Monegan disclosed this wife beating in his employment records. In other words, he may have perjured himself. That alone would be grounds for termination.

OldTrader

#57     Sep 20, 2008
  8. ak15

ak15

Monegan may or may not have beaten his wife. If he is found guilty of having physically abused his spouse he should be meted out punishment as per the law. However, it does not detract from the dispute being investigated viz whether Palin abused her power when she fired Monegan. Palin claims she terminated Monegan due to" insubordination on budget issues". Au contraire, Monegan alleges he was fired because he refused to terminate a state trooper who was involved in a bitter divorce with the governor's sister.

Monegan having beaten his wife (yet to be proven) has nothing to do with why Palin fired him - "for insubordination on budget issues" and the dispute being investigated - Whether Monegan was fired because he declined to remove Trooper Wooten from employment because of his involvement in an acrimonious divorce with the Governor's sister.

#58     Sep 20, 2008

9. sounds like a woman scorned type of deal.

She probably pulled down her pants and he refused.

never under estimate women's emotions.

that's why they make the worst leaders.

#59     Sep 20, 2008
  10. Here's more info for you from the SF Chronicle (by the way, the ex-wife is an emergency room doctor, and Professor at Stanford University):

In October 1994, Monegan's estranged wife, who had moved from Alaska to the Peninsula with the couple's two daughters after more than 10 years of marriage, sought a temporary restraining order against him - accusing Monegan of threatening to kill her, waving a gun at her and dislocating her shoulder, according to her declaration on file in Santa Clara County Superior Court.

In an interview last week, Georgene Moldovan said Monegan had threatened several times to throw her body in an Alaska river.

Monegan, 57, who has since remarried, vigorously denied Moldovan's allegations, both in court papers filed at the time and in an interview with us last week. "I'm not a door slammer - I don't punch walls," he said.

Monegan admitted to dislocating Moldovan's shoulder, but said it was an accident that had happened before they were married, while they "were wrestling and tickling."

Moldovan was an emergency room doctor and professor at Stanford and shuttled back and forth from Alaska to the Peninsula the last seven years of their marriage. Monegan asked her for a divorce in 1993, but snapped when he learned he might lose the couple's house, she says.

One day in April 1993, she said in her court filing, "he pulled out his gun and waved it at me outside my home and yelled he would kill me if I stopped him."

In the interview, Moldovan said Monegan "would show up unannounced and break into my apartment and do threatening things. I was forced to get a restraining order because I was really fearful he was going to harm me."

Monegan denounced the allegations as "either half-truths or pure fabrications." He points out that Moldovan made her accusations in the midst of a bitter fight over who would get the couple's daughters.

If any of the allegations had been documented, he said, he would have been fired from his Anchorage police job and never been hired by Palin as Alaska's top cop in 2006.

As for whether any of his own troubles might have clouded his judgment in dealing with Palin's ex-brother-in-law amid his messy divorce, Monegan says no.

"In a nutshell, I never have and I never will condone domestic violence," he said.

And while Monegan hasn't spoken to his ex-wife in years, he says, he is still on very good terms with her first husband - Alaska's U.S. attorney, Nelson Cohen.

Again, the question is whether he disclosed any of these items and allegations to the Anchorage police department or Palin. If he didn't, he likely perjured himself. Failure to disclose this type of material event to a prospective employer would definitely be a cause for termination.

OldTrader

#60     Sep 20, 2008