Why would a Governor care about a state trooper

Discussion in 'Politics' started by WaveStrider, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Palin said that? Really? Funny but I can't find that quote attributed to Palin. How about a citation dick wad.

#41     Sep 20, 2008
  2. Palin Disputed In Troopergate Probe
    Sept. 20, 2008(CBS/AP)

Just when it seemed the Alaska investigation into Gov. Sarah Palin's firing of a state official might have been scuttled by the pressures of presidential politics, another turn of events has kept it going.

Palin's firing of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan last July, allegedly after pressure by her, her husband and staff members on Monegan to fire her ex-brother-in-law was ignored, is at the center of the investigation (known as Troopergate) into whether Palin abused her power.

Palin originally agreed to participate in the investigation, authorized in July by the Republican-controlled legislature. She told Alaskans, "Hold me accountable." Once named to the McCain ticket, however, Palin backpedaled. She has since refused to testify.

Palin has maintained that she fired Monegan not over the status of Trooper Mike Wooten, but over budget disagreements - specifically a trip Monegan planned to Washington which she said was unauthorized.

Earlier this week the McCain campaign released a series of e-mails detailing the frustration several Palin administration officials experienced in dealing with Monegan. The "last straw," the campaign said, was a trip Monegan planned in July to seek federal money for investigating and prosecuting sexual assault cases.

Palin, saying she did not authorize the expenses for the travel, cited that trip as a primary example of the insubordination that led to Monegan's firing.

However, Palin's chief of staff did authorize the travel to Washington.

A travel authorization document signed by Palin's Chief of Staff Mike Nizich on June 18 approved Monegan's trip to Washington for the purpose of meeting Sen. Lisa Murkowski.

The document's existence was first reported by ABC News on Friday.

Monegan told ABC that the travel authorization was explicitly to pursue funding for the anti-sexual-violence program, though the document does not state that as a reason for the trip.

McCain spokesman Taylor Griffin said Friday that the travel authorization was for a routine trip, and that state commissioners regularly travel to meet members of Alaska's congressional delegation.

"He was not authorized to lobby Congress," Griffin said.

The revelation came on the same day that several individuals subpoenaed to testify in Troopergate refused to appear as ordered.

Those who refused to answer their subpoenas (including Todd Palin, the Governor's husband; Randy Ruaro, the governor's deputy chief of staff; and aide Ivy Frye) will be referred to the full Senate for contempt, said Sen. Hollis French, who is heading the investigation.

#42     Sep 20, 2008
  3. Reading comprehension problem plus temper problem (how does that sound familiar? Oh, that's McCain).

Todd Palin is a member of the party that puts "I'm an Alaskan, not an American. I've got no use for America or her damned institutions" on their front page. Sarah went to two of their conventions, and sent a video greeting to their convention this year. That's association by any sane person's definition.

#43     Sep 20, 2008
  4. This whole thing is a sideshow, but it is instructive of how the parties both collude against the people. Much has been made of the fact that the "republican controlled" Alaska legislature started this investigation. What is left unsaid is that the republican party bosses in Alaska hate Palin almost as much as, if not more than, the mainstream media. Why? She broke up the cozy little party they were having with oil companies. She got the head of the Energy Commission tossed over corruption charges, then took on and defeated an incumbent republican governor. The head of the state legislature is a republican woman from her home town who initially backed Palin, then turned on her when she became too hard to control.

It is highly instructive of the lack of principles on the part of the media and democrats that they are bed with corrupt republican party bosses in Alsaka. They share a common goal, yes: destroy Palin, but one would hope they would put the interests of the citizens above petty partisanship. Guess not.

This episode also illustrates why it is so difficult to break the hold of the party bosses. A true independent or outsider, whether it is Sara Palin or a Ron Paul, faces a united front of opposition from both parties and their media allies. Pols quickly learn to go along to get along, or face ostracism, media indifference and partisan witchhunts.

#44     Sep 20, 2008
  5. This is a false dichotomy. Just because other Republicans are corrupt and Sarah Palin took them on does not mean that Sarah Palin is not also corrupt. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I don't know, it seems like any citizen who holds any government position can be fired by the whim of Palin's family -- so I'd say that the media is doing at least a minimal job protecting the citizenry from unlawful dismissals.

#45     Sep 20, 2008
  6. No one has insinuated charges of "corruption" against Palin.

Palin has a right to fire executives. She has the right to fire executives for purely PARTISAN reasons. Obama will remove virtually 100% of the high level department aides presently working under the Bush cabinet. That's life. Why? Because they're partisan positions. Palin or Governor Bill Clinton are King and those who serve as department heads directly below are the gentry class assigned to spreading the King's message. In a democracy the best results come from the appointment of competent folks whose actions please the electorate and the media. Pick a Michael Brown and die on the sword. So yes at it's very CORE the investigation against Palin is partisan, vengeful and tainted because of the unprofessional comments by Hollis French. It would be a akin to a criminal court judge saying in a pre-trial interview that he thinks the defendant is guilty. Christ, you'd be thrown off the bench and possibly dis-barred. From an "ethics" metric I find French's statements 10x worse than if Palin indeed fired Monegan because of Wooten.

Strategically this could work out very badly for the Democrat's. If I'm Palin and I'm cornered here's my response: “I'm a bossy bitch, it's my way or the highway. Wooten is a psychopath with no business carrying a badge and if Monegan isn't smart enough or ballsy enough to recognize that then he's not the type of person who can meet the standards of myself or my administration. My style might ruffle some feathers but I work for the people and not indentured bureaucrats like Monegan.” You'll be scoring that +10 Sarah.

#46     Sep 20, 2008
  7. Okay. That doesn't change the fact that your argument is specious.

Librarians, until now, have never been considered partisan positions.

So, if Obama wins and fires librarians because they won't carry books (or get rid of Republican books) you're fine with that.

I'm not, oddly.

:) Well, I hope she does that and we can take the measure of whether people want further destruction of their rights.

#47     Sep 20, 2008
  8. A lame reply. Honestly Dave you're having more and more of them. Librarians aren't part of the action against Palin. It's non- sequitur.

#48     Sep 20, 2008
  9. http://townhall.com/blog/g/bcd9ee89-b16e-40ec-948f-d2dab47baf2e

PALIN FIRED A WIFE BEATER IN 'TROOPERGATE'

Democrats pushing "Troopergate" are getting closer and closer to defending the records of two abusive men who have threatened family members and on occasion taken violent action towards them.

Alaska's former Public Safety Commisioner Walt Monegan and state trooper Mike Wooten both have a distrubing history of abuse. Monegan, of course, is the man who Democrats believe GOP vice presidential contender Sarah Palin improperly fired as Alaskan Governor and who is at the center of their controversial "Troopergate" inquiry. Wooten is Palin's former brother-in-law who Democrats think Palin unethically pressured Monegan to terminate.

Via the San Francisco Chronicle Monegan admitted dislocating his wife's shoulder "by accident" by "wrestling and tickling" her. His estranged wife, Georgene Moldovan, tells another story.

Moldovan sought a restraining order against him in 1994 after he threatened to kill her, waved a gun at her and knocked her shoulder out of socket, according to court papers. The court papers say: "he pulled out his gun and waved it at me outside my home and yelled he would kill me if I stopped him."

Moldovan told the SF Chronicle that Monegan "would show up unannounced and break into my apartment and do threatening things. I was forced to get a restraining order because I was really fearful he was going to harm me." She said he also threatened to throw her body into a cold, Alaskan river.

Monegan, for his part, said his ex-wife was telling "either half-truths or pure fabrications."

Governor Palin fired Monegan earlier this year for insubordination. Democrats have accused Palin of "abusing her power" in firing Monegan, who was a political appointee. The Alaskan legislature is now leading an ethics investigation to determine if Palin improperly fired Monegan.

Palin's foes say Palin really fired Monegan over his refusal to terminate trooper Wooten, not for his insubordination. Wooten recently ended a bitter marriage with Palin's sister, Molly.

Like Monegan, Wooten has a violent history with family members. He's admitted to “tasering” his stepson and has been accused of threatening to kill his former father-in-law, Palin's dad.

#49     Sep 20, 2008
  10. Wingnuts really have no concept what a democracy is. Limiting the executive power of government and checking abuses are not defending bad people.

Just because someone deserves to be shot doesn't mean that everyone has the right to shoot him.

#50     Sep 20, 2008