Why won't Mitt Romney make his tax returns public?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

+ 1

#11     Jan 12, 2012
  2. Epic

Epic

The only people who care about these types of conspiracies are those who have already decided against that candidate. Because they already had their mind made up, they don't change the election.

The only people demanding Obama's birth certificate were those trying to prove he didn't have it. Those people never would've voted for him anyway. The rest of us couldn't have cared less about that topic. So it was a complete non-issue.

Romney is the main GOP candidate who is campaigning based on tax cuts for the middle class, making statements like "we don't need to help the rich, they are doing just fine, it is the middle class who need the tax cuts". All the others are talking about tax cuts that would most benefit the rich in nominal terms, such as a flat tax. Most of the others demand elimination or reduction of capital gains tax for everyone, while Romney only suggests reduction of the cap gains tax for those who make less than $200K.

So let's say that he releases his statements and they show that he paid an overall rate of 17%. He then comes out and says, "That is why I've been saying that it is the middle class who need the tax cuts. The current system is legal but it disproportionately hurts the middle class, and I'm saying that I want to change that."

Romney is very good at one thing... turning weakness in to perceived strength. He has already demonstrated that in the primaries.

#12     Jan 12, 2012
  3. No conspiracy at all.It is common practice for all Presidential candidates to release their tax returns

#13     Jan 12, 2012

4. I doubt most people would buy it.I doubt Romney does either which is why he doesn't want to release them imo

#14     Jan 12, 2012
  5. Tom B

Tom B

Obama did not release his tax returns until March 25, 2008, for the last presidential election cycle.

#15     Jan 12, 2012
  6. Mercor

Mercor

Romeny may also be concerned about how much he gives to the Mormon church, especially in the last election where is was a bigger issue.
    The amount will be in the millions

#16     Jan 12, 2012
  7. Epic

Epic

It will likely be right around 10% which is required in the mormon church. The 10% requirement is actually common across most christian churches which is where the word "tithe" comes from. It means 1/10 of annual income.

#17     Jan 12, 2012
  8. Epic

Epic

The releasing of the returns isn't the theory. All the reasons concocted for why he doesn't are the theories.

#18     Jan 12, 2012