Why We Can't Cut Back on SS/Medicare/Etc.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by MKTrader, May 24, 2011.

1. MKTrader

MKTrader

2. zdreg

zdreg

he's a smart guy with plenty of time to waste on posters who make ridiculous remarks.
    contact him to verify his status as a member of ET.

3. achilles28

achilles28

I think that's Bearice and his Mom..

4. Bob111

Bob111

+1 :p :p :p

5. “You wanna test how damn serious I am about leaving this world, screw with my check that pays for this apartment and food. Try it. See how serious I am. I don’t care,” the California man said. “I have no problem killing myself. Take away the last thing keeping me here, and see what happens. Next time you see me on the news, it will be me in a body bag.”

Wow. Being a baby isn't even fun after age 4. This guy is 35???

6. clacy

clacy

I have no problem letting this moron off himself. In fact I welcome it.

7. Democrat Hochul wins New York special election

Anecdotes about criminals (which is what this guy and his "nurse" are) ain't going to save your stupid asses at the polls. Just in case you were wondering.
    Because...

anecdote (even anecdotes) <> data.
    Real life is run by data, verified, not stories about one person stealing.

On a real forum run by mods who know the difference, this would be in Politics & Religion, where it belongs. It ain't economics by any stretch of the imagination.

8. MKTrader

MKTrader

But the system is hopelessly gamed. Extreme examples like this just show how bad it is. This includes thousands who will happily collect their "checks" and don't plan to work a day in their life. Why do you think there are so many lawyers on billboards telling people "they" can get them SSI or SS Disability? I've lived in places where more than half the grocery store customers used food stamps and most drove away in cars nicer than mine.

Unfortunately, you're probably right, though. More than 50% mindlessly vote for the sugar daddy who promises to feed the most parasites...

9. If you've spent a lifetime paying Medicare taxes, you're going to vote for the person who's going to tell you you actually get to get some benefit for taxes paid in. It's got precisely nothing to do with sugar daddies.
    Your response shows why that election was lost tonight. It amazes me that the entire Republican leadership actually listens to folks like you, who represent only the farthest right portion of the electorate. They don't seem to understand that the 2010 elections were an anomaly, and if they continue to try to pander to the folks who voted in 2010, they're going to get murdered in 2012.
    That election was a warning.

10. “I have almost always voted the party line,” said Gloria Bolender, a Republican from Clarence who is caring for her 80-year-old mother. “This is the second time in my life I’ve voted against my party.”

--------

You'll see more responses like this from that district over the next few days.

Get this, Dick Armey's Tea Party has declared that its main goal is to defeat Mitt Romney in 2012. I thought Romney was the only electable candidate the Party of the Dumb had for the 2012 election. What a laugh.

Another thing, Eric Cantor is out saying the govt shouldn't help with disaster relief, that taxes will have to be raised or programs (Medicare!!) will have to be cut to pay for such events. Who here thinks the red states, who happen to have frequent natural disasters be it floods and tornadoes, are going to be happy with this?

All this begs the question: Are the republicans retarded? Are they trying not to get elected?

#10     May 24, 2011