Why was the market so slow today?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by kmgilroy89, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Storm hit East coast

#11     Feb 11, 2013
  2. Bob111

Bob111

that was on friday EOD..it's monday as of today

regardless to weather or whatever.. 90% of US stock markets opens after first trading day(1/2/2013) is +/- .0.2%.it' dead. in any possible way(including the volume). i guess we have to get use to it? that the
    open is always flat :)

#12     Feb 11, 2013
  3. True. In the past, pre-2007 regardless of what the event was, we simply do not see such low volume, especially for a Monday. We can only accept that trading desks have all been severely downsized or decimated since the crisis, retail volume is zero and the only viable thing to do is to increase holding periods.

#13     Feb 11, 2013
  4. ammo

ammo

5. Hit resistance so consolidated, digesting it.

#15     Feb 11, 2013
  6. gmst

gmst

I think this crush in volatility clarifies the importance of trading multiple asset classes.

Towards the end of last year, fx markets had gone dead - ranges on Euro, sterling had contracted significantly whereas yen was not moving at all.

However, from Jan of this year, volatility is back in fx. So, as traders if we diversify and trade at least 2 or even better 3 asset classes, it helps in going over these passive/dull periods. My 2 cents.

#16     Feb 11, 2013
  7. 90% of traders will look at charts and say "It can go one way or another....this is a big inflection point." Then miss the move, etc..

or they see a stock that went from 50 to 20 and call it a down trend, sell at 20 and get stopped out at 30.

or pick tops, call bottoms......lose

it's slow because there is something coming out that will "shock" this market. higher or lower....many do not know.

from gold to the dollar to equities, etc.....the money HAS to be on the long side of the market and short the dollar, long oil and gold.

but, as a trader, it's much more fun when things collapse.....so i HOPE the next move is down for stocks.

i will say it once more here....my best trade is one stock, long-term adding.....TA would have had me stopped out 100x and it went from 20 to 70 eventually. but trading futures is fun. 60k went to 30k at the low point....stock did trade 10.

IF you want to get rich, i think you hope the next move in stocks is up.......looks like a new wave higher, and then start selling....and try to hold for one year. pick one stock, one commodity....and risk it.

#17     Feb 11, 2013
  8. Wow, the snow is gone and everyone made it into work today? That's awesome.

And today's vol was predicted here: http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=253092&perpage=10&pagenumber=61

#18     Feb 11, 2013
  9. Bob111

Bob111

once again-judging by opening range on US stock markets lately and volume-it looks to me that those "chosen ones," who runs the markets, are never come back(yet) from Christmas vacation(forget about single snow storm) :)

#19     Feb 11, 2013
  10. eurusdzn

eurusdzn

Sp500 1510 was cleared and is holding as dollar and bond look to have completed
    Bear flag. Can't go straight up everyday. Any headline data point will do.
    Euro and Sp500 up and USD and treasuries down this week. Just my opinion.

#20     Feb 11, 2013