Why was Al Brooks Thread Deleted

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by monty21, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Fletch

Fletch

I would be happy to answer any questions regarding Al Brook's website. I am the sole owner and operator of the current site.

The night before the previous thread in question was deleted I had done a rather lengthy post explaining both my and Al's involvement. I will attempt to repeat that information here. My purpose in doing this is to give the facts. How others interpret the facts is up to them and not my concern. BTW, I'm sure this is a private board and the owners are free to delete any post or thread they want, for any reason at all. I have not read the TOS, and I had nothing to do with the thread being deleted, but I suspect it also contains the usual stuff about individuals not making potentially libelous statements that could place ET in a position of liability. I have been on ET for over eight years and what was posted on that thread, for better or worse, was nothing new for this board.

Al had created a website on July 30th as an experiment to see what would develop from it. From my understanding, there were a number of reasons for him doing this. First of all, he expressed a desire to be involved in the area of trader education. He has written a number of articles in Futures Magazine, done a few live presentations and written a book on trading with price action. Second, he realized there were some things which were not clear in his book that could be clarified on the website. Third, he wanted to see if there were opportunities to generate income to offset the time he put into creating and posting on a website.

Al had done a daily commentary since the first day and on August 7th, he had posted his perspective on what was happening in the markets dozens of times throughout the day. At the end of the day he realized how much it had negatively affected his concentration on his own trading. On August 13th, two weeks after the creation of the website, he decided that it was not worth the effort and announced that it would be shut down in one week.

Since I felt I had learned things from Al's posts and his articles, I decided to contact him to see if there was a way to continue the website and to have at least some occasional input from him. He was originally opposed to the idea and said he didn't want to do anything that would interfere with his own trading. I encouraged him to put his trading first and not do anything to cause him to lose money.

After about a dozen e-mails back and forth we agreed to a new trial website under the following conditions: Al would keep control of the domain name, keep ownership of his own content, have moderation control over new content, and post new content as he felt led to do. He committed to posting at least an end-of-day commentary "for a few weeks". That was the extent of Al’s commitment. I committed to volunteering my time to creating a new website with the purpose of developing a community of traders interested in strictly price action trading - geared towards Al’s approach. I would be the owner of the website space, responsible for all expenses, develop any new features, porting his old content over to the new site, and handle the day-to-day operation. Al also reserved the right to take over the website at any time if he desired to do that since his name was on it. On August 20th, the day the old website closed, the new website opened.

The extent of my contact with Al has been through e-mail, alone. I have never talked to him on the phone, we have never met in person, we have no official contract regarding the website and, as he has said, he doesn’t even know my last name. I can’t even speak to his character outside of the scope that he has done as he said he would up to this point. Al has been perfectly clear from the very beginning that he would consider the possibility of a subscription service to help compensate him for his time posting on the website. This fact has been stated on both his old website and the current one. I don’t find it to be unreasonable for him to want some compensation for his time if people are benefiting from it. Up to this point, neither of us have felt it would be worth his time to do that. He has also stated that he makes so little off of his book that no one should feel compelled to buy it.

Regarding the “donations”, this came about after a couple of people requested a way to help share in the expenses for the board. No “donation” option had existed prior to that. Since I was paying the costs myself I decided to accept the generous offer from others. My feeling was that this would help foster a sense of community amongst the members. Al was not consulted before I added the donations button and has no expectation of receiving any of the money. Up to this point, I have received $100.39 (after PayPal’s fees). This is almost enough to pay the web host fee for one year. I am open to looking for other ways to add value to the website if people want to chip in on that. We already have a chat room hosted for free on IRC so I'm not sure what else I would add. I appreciate those that have donated and I anticipate that the website will continue at my own expense even if no other donations come in. My involvement up to now has been completely voluntary and I have well over 50 hours of work in the website and received no pay for doing it. It is just something I enjoy doing, in addition to trading.

I hope this helps to clarify the misinformation that had been put out there by others.

#21     Sep 14, 2009
  2. yes it does. and all of ET is quite sure youll receive a public apology here for everyone to read => accept from monty21 for his erroneous ass u mptions posted about the subject

#22     Sep 14, 2009
  3. The guys who were slamming Al Brooks sure talked a good game, but I think its now time they man up and come back to this thread to apologize. If you were brave enough to slam the guy, then you should be brave enough to offer an apology. My guess is that wont happen and, instead, they will disappear without a sound.

The tough part about coming to message boards like this is being forced to experience the immaturity of others.

#23     Sep 17, 2009
  4. Ok... And?

And to you other guys, I'm not slamming Al Brooks. I'm just saying that he is more of a salesman then he is a trader. Maybe he does make money, maybe he doesn't. But the point that people miss is that Al has continuously written articles and Futures Mag and he also speaks at seminars.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa5282/is_20080701/ai_n27919427/pg_3/

So yea, he may not be getting paid for some articles, but don't rule out that he is not selling something at a trade show.

And he obviously makes money in seminars.

Some naive people assume that just because he authored his first book after 20 years suggests that he is some great trader... or even profitable.

And my two cents on his book (mainly strategy):

- The type of trading that Al Brooks discusses is a brokers dream...commissions, commissions, commissions.
    - His risk-reward ratios are horrible.
    - He does not even watch news and relies overly on candlesticks... (we'll candlesticks especially 5-minute ones can change drastically on a news/economic data event so ignoring them is foolish.)
    - His style and clarity of writing is awful. Perhaps by confusing people

This is just my opinion. I don't know why that needs to be censored... and why we can't ask about donations on his site (regardless who manages it)? What is wrong with transparency?

#24     Sep 17, 2009
  5. First point. There is nothing wrong with making money through speaking at seminars or selling books. In fact, if you had some sort of specialized skill wouldnt you like to get paid for it? If there is no monetary compensation then speaking and writing is just a waste of time.

Second point. Whatever Al charges is going to be far cheaper then the amount of money you could potentially lose when trading. In fact, someone like Al might save you a lot of money and prevent significant losses while giving you tips on how to make significant gains.

Third point. No one said Al was an English teacher or any kind of teacher. He is just a guy who trades. You can't expect his style of writing to be perfect.

Fourth point. We know Al is not a trading god, but an experienced trader who presents one type of strategy that works for him. We all have different ways of doing things and he is just showing you his way. You dont have to agree with his strategies, but there is something we can all take away from his style.

Fifth point. You should thank Al for any type of free services he provides to the community and his writings in the various magazines. Al can make far more money by focusing on his trading and staying silent. He comes out to speak and write because he wants to give something back to the community. Slamming him in a public forum is not going to encourage Al to provide these free services to you. He doesnt deserve a public slamming.

#25     Sep 17, 2009
  6. CTan

CTan

Have you read his book completely?

Do you know what overly relying on candlesticks means?
    I think you do and hence the unresolved anger.

Do you know how number of winning trades and risk-reward ratio are related before you start commenting based on your bookish knowledge of them?

You seem to be content on trolling here about who is getting paid for writing what and who is asking donations where.

And aren't you supposed to be long gone as per your request of being removed?

Personally,I am thankful to Al's book for reducing my learning curve as it fits my trading style.

Chris.

#26     Sep 18, 2009
  7. First, it takes no bravery to slam anyone. These are internet punks remember---the same kind of scum I used to arrest soliciting little children.

You should have seen some of these big bad flamers whimper when I pushed their ugly snouts against the wall.

Second, an apology from a loser is as ineffective as the insult that began it.

Do you think on a week where I make over $15,000 trading I am going to get upset when some jealous loser tells me

I OWN A PAPER AIRPLANE?

Tell that to the guy in the hangar towing my aircraft out and fueling it.

Third.

Instead of shying from the flaming---I use it.

Nail the little bastards back. People love it when the hero defeats the villians.

I use this site to gain new clients. I do not have the time of day for the flamers.

I use them like the little minions they are. They know it but can't resist. I control the little weasles.

Do the same.

Successfully,

Alex L. Wasilewski
    Co-Founder & Head Trader
    Trades That Work
    www.puretick.com
    1-877-GOLONG1 (1-877-465-6641)

#27     Sep 19, 2009