Why Use Prime Brokers?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by prudent, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Jerryz,

Never change your style of trading based on the type of money you are trying to attract. If the risk-adjusted returns are there, you will eventually get plenty of money. What's the hurry? :)
    There are so many potential distractions in this industry, and it is easy to get sidetracked.
    If raising money quickly is an absolute priority, then I would suggest a third party marketer. You have to be careful about what type of deal you are willing to sign, but there are marketers
    in this industry with very good connections.

#21     Feb 3, 2005
  2. Yes well, I imagine there isn't a big distinction. If one is going to trade through an IB, might as well go through their prime broking arm as costs are probably not that different?

But that is all conversation ... I'll figure it out when I need to figure it out.

#22     Feb 3, 2005
  3. I was just pointing out that you can always use a broker as a broker whether or not you have a prime brokerage relationship with them or someone else. But in my opinion, the only reason to use someone as a prime broker is because you think they will raise money for you.

#23     Feb 3, 2005
  4. prudent

prudent

What resource, in your opinion, points you towards the most legitimate, and effective third party marketers?

Prudent

#24     Feb 3, 2005
  5. I have to agree with the others. The only reason to Prime with a big house would be reputation..maybe add slightly more credibility to your fund. Personally I would stay away from any relationship predicated on cap intro...thats just me though. One more thing to think about...even though 1mm is tiny you can still get real good service/prime brokerage at small IB`s to larger houses. You have the stability of GS,BSC or MER. But you get the lower rates the IB`s offer and your statements and reports have the large BD`s name on it. Good luck either way.

#25     Feb 3, 2005
  6. prudent

prudent

Thank you indahook, you described almost exactly what I am in the process of doing, I think this route best for where we are at this beginning stage.

#26     Feb 3, 2005
  7. No problem. I know alot of small funds that are/have done the same thing. It`s a good route

#27     Feb 3, 2005
  8. call me paranoid but i don't like that prime brokers might tell their vip clients or their prop trading groups what my positions are at any given moment.

i have the impression that chicago futures brokers are less dishonest and less likely to sh*t on you for a lousy buck, not that they wouldn't do it but it's less likely

#28     Feb 3, 2005
  9. prudent

prudent

Interesting point buzzy...my fund only trades equities and equity options.

#29     Feb 3, 2005
  10. Do you know what a world of hurt that BD would be in for if they did that and it leaked? They would lose every customer and end up in court for years. Paranoid does not even begin to describe that statement.

#30     Feb 3, 2005