Why trend trading does not work?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tradingjournals, Jul 12, 2011.

1. EPrado

EPrado

#81     Jul 13, 2011
  2. EPrado

EPrado

Actually I found a better one:

"At least, in my experience taking a trade in the same direction as the most recent price move generally has less profitability, but if you take a trade against where the market moved, generally you will have better results. This is not a coin flip. If the market rose, we became more overvalued, if the market fell, we became more undervalued relatively speaking."

Since the markets always know when they are overvalued and tend not to continue when they hit this area, your comment makes complete sense.

Looks like my man Surf has a new friend.

#82     Jul 13, 2011
  3. I think differentiating between trading and allocation is two different things. You don't have to follow those rules if you are allocating to more diversified funds and not interested in swing trading. Investment long term just requires an efficient frontier model software program, though I see nearly zero discussions about that. This is different.

Incidentally, I took a $209,000 loss on c2 shorting the exact same rally on 132 NQ. Ouch. I am, however, up $40,000 from 7 ND from 2391.50, and can now only trade 48 NQ. :(

#83     Jul 13, 2011
  4. EPrado

EPrado

Down 209k on bad trades, up 40k on good trades.

Sounds like a fader.

IMHO, going with the trend keeps people out of the exact situation you ran into above.

I guess I just like trading from a position of strength...call me crazy.....

#84     Jul 13, 2011
  5. It really is trend trading. Just be patient and wait for an oscillation. Doing this manually is impossible, but if you catch a lower high and a higher low, these produce my best setups. I look at volatility on a normalized, absolute basis for my pairs systems, but the premise without timing on an oscillation takes trades on the open.

#85     Jul 13, 2011
  6. EPrado

EPrado

I hear ya. I guess everyone has a different definition of selling into strength/buying weakness.

#86     Jul 13, 2011
  7. bone

bone

You sound confused. Besides, Lucias already said he was the best there is in the world as a C2 cowboy.

Ever read the reviews for the C2 systems ? Yikes.

#87     Jul 13, 2011
  8. marceck

marceck

NQ 2375 was a higher high from the prior day as well as a higher low, so I don't really get what you are trying to state with that example. If you mean lower high from the 2421.75 high of 7/8, well that is quite a chunk of space you are dealing with. Bad example of a high odds fade, if you ask me. Always easy to hindsight trade.

#88     Jul 13, 2011