Why trading educators talk about entries 95% of the time?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by VEGASDESERT, May 22, 2020.

1. Sekiyo

Sekiyo

Problem is we speak ill defined terms.
    What is “Bad entry” ? What is “Good risk management” ?

#41     May 23, 2020
    wrbtrader likes this.
  2. truth!!

#42     May 23, 2020
  3. bad entry is buying in a down trend and selling into up trends..actual trends not a 2 or 3 minute blip in opposite direction that is not fing trend change

#43     May 23, 2020
  4. if you can trade long short successfully then shouldbt your long exit actually be a short entry where you almost have an almost in all day mentality? if wrong and you exited your king early and reversed then you should be able to exit and reverse again. every system should always be tested from an always in time period stand point to see if it is just cherry picking and getting random luck or is it actually a working system with entries and exits

why exit a long unless you are anticipating a mkt selloff? why wouldnt you exit and reverse to take advantage of the sell?

#44     May 23, 2020
    _eug_ likes this.
  5. this is actually where volpri trading doesnt hold water because he could never show an always in perspective and yet just throwing contracts at a trade sure gives you better entry but it does nothing on the exit

#45     May 23, 2020
  6. volpri

volpri

LOL

#46     May 23, 2020
  7. savoir

savoir

You get it. Good job.

#47     May 23, 2020
  8. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

That's the reality...much easier, less space and more marketable to write / talk about trade entries than risk management and all that other stuff involving a trading plan.

Trade entries are sexy like a sexy bikini clad women lying on top of a expensive sports car. :D

We see this theme repeated in many trade journals here @ Elitetrader.com by traders trying to educate other ET members about how they're trading. There's such an effort put into explaining the trade entry than any other area of a trading plan.

wrbtrader

#48     May 23, 2020
  9. schizo

schizo

Let's not play word games. You know exactly what I mean by "bad entry". :D

Bad entry is when risk is greater than reward, eg. fading the strong trend. (Yeah, yeah, I admit, I do that as well :banghead:).

#49     May 23, 2020
    Sekiyo likes this.
  10. volpri,
    i think you are on to some good stuff but it needs to be developed more before you can go pawning it off as an LOL.

this is a great thread and if we can all try and keep it real perhaps we can finally learn some stuff from each other.

i pose this question. if you do a 1 lot and buy and hold long enough you will get into profits eventually. it could take 10 years but assuming its an index and the world doesnt end it should be profitable.

is this a good entry?
    how do you define good entry and when?
    as soon as you enter or do u look at a bad entry as once you exit with loss.

we need to define entry fast so if its bad we exit. now volpri if its bad he adds. shouldnt he exit and do 2 on the lower entry instead if holding n averaging a loser..
    he should martingale if his entries are so robust why take n hold the extra contract risk as mkt falls and you keep buying more

#50     May 23, 2020